shrimp turning white

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
i just noticed my RCS's body (carapace??) is turning white, what is this supposed to mean? molting or dying? thanks for the replies

Last edited:

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I've never actually seen a RCS moult- although, I have seen the shed skins. If the body looks cloudy the shrimp is sick with a bacteria infection.

Some shrimp change colours. I have one Caridina Propinqua that was Orange when I got her- she is now brown. Been brown for weeks- started as spots- the spots spread... eventually changed colour completely.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Could be either but if the tank and its occupants are generally healthy it's probably preparing to molt.

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
just updated the first post with pics. just hope they are not dying on me just yet.... they were quite hard to find here lol

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
She's developing eggs. She's "saddled."

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yuppers! In about 20 days or so the eggs will be transferred to her swimerettes where they will be turned by her constantly for another 3 weeks before they hatch. Congrats!

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
congrats. Thats the lucky saddle. Sometimes it has a greenish color also.

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
good day folks, 2 of my shrimps gave birth to 4 shrimplets as of my last visible count hehe, 3 are showing signs of pregnancy (the white ones i reported) and hope to build a big colony, however, can someone please identify this thing thats really bothering me? its like a spider or an insect, i poked it with a chopstick and it moved! i thought it was just a dead spider that fell on my tank. i spotted 2 of these things and i really want to kill it now! thanks a lot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store