Help with crayfish please.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I bought my BF 2 crayfish for his pond because he has been loudly hinting that he wanted one. Now he tells me that they are a favorite food for raccoons. Is there any way I can keep them in one of my community tanks? Or do they eat everyone? Thanks for your help.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
It depends on the species. Some actively hunt and eat small fish while others don't.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Common crayfish in a community tank? No. Common crayfish with agressive fish that can't tear them apart? Can work.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Common crayfish in a community tank? No. Common crayfish with agressive fish that can't tear them apart? Can work.
They are Marmorkrebs. Does that make a difference?

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I highly recommend that you take them out of the pond ASAP as the Marmorkrebs is a highly invasive species and should NEVER be placed outside where may escape into the local eco system and cause the destruction of native species and disruptions on a major scale. Please scour the pond bottom to make sure they did not reproduce as they reproduce asexually--even missing one crayfish is a bad thing.

They do fine in home aquariums and are generally not aggressive to fish. They often become food for aggressive fish. The marmorkrebs are opportunistic feeders though and will eat fish if they can get them. They go great in goldfish tanks and can live in tanks with heaters or without. The marmorkrebs can adapt to many different environments and this is one reason that they are such an invasive species. They also eat many plants--they are lawnmowers IMO.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I highly recommend that you take them out of the pond ASAP as the Marmorkrebs is a highly invasive species and should NEVER be placed outside where may escape into the local eco system and cause the destruction of native species and disruptions on a major scale. Please scour the pond bottom to make sure they did not reproduce as they reproduce asexually--even missing one crayfish is a bad thing.

They do fine in home aquariums and are generally not aggressive to fish. They often become food for aggressive fish. The marmorkrebs are opportunistic feeders though and will eat fish if they can get them. They go great in goldfish tanks and can live in tanks with heaters or without. The marmorkrebs can adapt to many different environments and this is one reason that they are such an invasive species. They also eat many plants--they are lawnmowers IMO.
Well, they are not in the pond yet. I tried to get info off the web but there isn't much. I will just set them up in a ten gallon and he can enjoy them there.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Whew! Sorry bout that Jacki--I must have mis read. But I am glad that I got it wrong! A 10-gallon would be great for them.

You can actually make a really simple tank for them--all they need is a sponge filter and water changes. I use the 20L plastic boxes that are sold for storage needs at times and I considered one of those little plastic kiddie pools for a small pond for them (inside my house--in the garage) but never made it as there is no room in the garage. I really love the Marmorkrebs as they are very community oriented and not shy at all. They are really awesome little creatures!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store