Do I need an anemone for a clown fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by Corn-Picker
I don't want to invest the money in the high priced lighting that anemones seem to require, but I want a pair of yellowstripe maroon clownfish. Can I keep the clownfish without the anemone? Can I keep the anemone without the high-priced lighting?

Edit: WOuld something like this be acceptable for an anemone?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...R=7018&ref=3055&Nao=9&subref=AQ&N=2004+113030
Clownfish do not require an anemone to thrive. Lighting for anemones will depend on the size of your tank and the type of anemone.

K9Decoy

Four-legged Fishkeeper
Dec 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
www.worldvision.org
"Can I keep the clownfish without the anemone?"

Yes, you can keep a clownfish without an anemone, as they do not require one to thrive.

Can I keep the anemone without the high-priced lighting?

The price of the fluorescent lights don't matter as much as the wattage. If you have 3-5 watts/gallon of water, then your lighting should be OK for an anemone. Hope this helps. Check out the "Reef Keepers" forum for further lighting information. Good luck!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Wow, that was a good article. I hope everyone reads it.

The more I read about anemones the more I hope taht everyone leaves them alone. I suppose it is different when small ones accidentally come on a piece of LR as a hitchhiker but when purposly bought, know that they will probably die in 1-2 years max (and probably much less) then it is a shame.

micaheli

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Sherwood, OR
www.aquariaphile.com
Anemonies

I love this part:

We must not take any more large host anemones from the ocean. It is absurd that we do this in the first place, since captive Clown Fish need anemones about as much as they need a bicycle.

That article was really cool. Made me think twice about having anemonies.. Wish I had a list of alternatives to use in my aquarium.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I was reading (sorry I haven't done this) that many clowns like mushrooms, though sometimes the mushrooms get irritated at the clowns constantly wiggling on them. I have also read that they sometimes will take to objects like powerheads or even small clay pots. Just a nesting instinct I guess and they will choose something to call their own.

DEmigh

Disturbed Member
Dec 5, 2003
Oklahoma City
Visit site
Originally posted by TKOS
[...]I have also read that they sometimes will take to objects like powerheads or even small clay pots.[...]
I have two percula clowns who "host" with a 1/2 gallon strawberry pot. It's home sweet home to them and they have even spawned a couple of times therein. Zero survival on the fry, (probably due to a lack of appropriate microscopic first-food) but the parents didn't seem to mind.

geno7: Excellent article! Thank you for sharing the link. I have "re-thunk" completely my plans for the clownfish.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store