"dirty" looking leaves

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
why does my plant leaves get this dirty brown looking stuff all over them? Is this algae? If so, what causes it? Am I leaving my lights on too long? right now they are on for about 9 hours. I try to rub it "off" and some comes off. I hate this; from far away you can't notice, but if you get up close and look, it looks horrible and dirty. How do I get rid of it??? :1zhelp:

John N.

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
California
You have brown diatom algae. In many cases, brown diatoms are an unavoidable regular occurrence for a new planted aquarium. However, performing regular water changes, and filter changes will keep brown diatoms from infecting your tank. In addition, plant your tank heavily with plants to help absorb any excess nutrients. Remember once you had it, you usually don’t get it twice.

Reducing your photoperiod to 7-8 hours will help keep it from rapidly spreading. It will go away on its own in about a month with regular water changes and filter cleanings.

-John N.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
You have brown diatom algae. In many cases, brown diatoms are an unavoidable regular occurrence for a new planted aquarium. However, performing regular water changes, and filter changes will keep brown diatoms from infecting your tank. In addition, plant your tank heavily with plants to help absorb any excess nutrients. Remember once you had it, you usually don’t get it twice.

Reducing your photoperiod to 7-8 hours will help keep it from rapidly spreading. It will go away on its own in about a month with regular water changes and filter cleanings.

-John N.
John N., what timeframe constitutes a "newly planted" tank? My tank has been up and running for 6 months, planted for 4-5 months, and went thru the brown diatom new tank phase quite a while ago. So I'm just wondering.

John N.

AC Members
Feb 1, 2006
California
I would say 1-2 months is new tank phase. It's possible you brought in new diatoms with the plants you've recently planted.

Are you cleaning out your filters regularly? Are you also doing waterchanges regularly? By regularly I mean weekly or by weekly with a 20-30% water change.

Reducing your photo period and increased maintenance are your best bets to a clean tank.

-John N.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had diatoms for ~3 years in my tank with Eco Complete, I've never seen anything like it. I had otos & SAEs to no avail. I removed plants to clean them but it was only temporary. I added a 2 inch BN plec & it's a miracle! (except for all the poo from eating all the diatoms)

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
I had diatoms for ~3 years in my tank with Eco Complete, I've never seen anything like it. I had otos & SAEs to no avail. I removed plants to clean them but it was only temporary. I added a 2 inch BN plec & it's a miracle! (except for all the poo from eating all the diatoms)
hmmmm reeeeeallly...... I have eco-complete too. That makes me suspicious.... so your sayig the BN (bristlenose?) pleco cleaned up the leaves? are those the ones that get huge, tho? I have a 46 gallon tank.

John: I do weekly water changes of about 30-40% and clean my filter each week at the same time.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
I just read in another thread of the same topic that mollies will eat this stuff off of leaves. true? false? anybody?

ferrettim

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Columbia, SC
mollies do eat the stuff sometimes, but I wouldn't rely on fish to do your cleaning for you. shortening your lighting period a bit may help. is your tank in direct sunlight? i would just add a few plants, and do more regular water changes for a few weeks and see if you can see any difference. your tank will always have algae, but you can at least control how much to an extent.

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
ok, getting some good answers. Do any others have some advice/knowledge to share?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store