Catfish for 30-gallon riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I posted this question on MonsterFishKeepers.com too. I am planning a new riparium setup and asking around for stocking advice. I am leaning toward using a catfish, but I might still go with a cichlid instead.

The layout will be something like the picture below, with emersed plants above the water.

That 120-gallon tank is only about 1/3 full, but for this new setup I plan to use a 40-gallon breeder and fill it most of the way to the top, so there will be a little more than 30 gallons of water. I intend to have a nice open foreground area with space for a single bottom-dwelling catfish or group to swim around. I might just make it a species tank, or include a small shoaling species for the middle of the water column. I have wondered about using a good-sized group of some kind of cory, although I am more inclined to try something new. I really like the look of Synodontis. It seems, however, that the smaller species are hard to come by. S. polli is very attractive, but it is a rift valley species. I would prefer to use a South America or West Africa catfish to better pair with some of the plants that I have for a quasi-biotope. I would really like to find somehting West African (that won't eat smaller fish) because I also have an idea ot include lampeye killies in this setup.

Does anybody have any other ideas for a small, active and diurnal catfish for this setup? Pimelodus pictus is another one that some people had suggested. I would really appreciate ideas for sources too.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If they ever start exporting these they'd get my vote!

2.jpg

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239397/product.web

Microglanis poecilus (or ihirenghi). South American cats. Stay around 2 inches or so. Biggest problem is they're pretty light shy. You'd have room for a bunch of them though, and it seems like they'd love the set up.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
You can get a Syno Petricola. Very active and only get to about 4.5 inches. They look amazing too. Where are you located? myfishy1 sells them on here, she is local to the chicagoland area. Also check to see if there are any local Cichlid clubs, you can get them there since they are from Lake Tang... not even going to try to spell that.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Yeah I had run across that S. petricola before. That one would be perfect. I am just a couple of hours north of Chicago, but I think my LFS might be able to to get them too.

Would it be OK to keep that one in neutral pH, or do they really have to have hard water with high pH?

Last edited:

CatsMeowww

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Chicagoland
What about pictus cats? They're S. American, and they don't get much/any bigger than 4-6 inches. They might be a little easier to find than Synodontis.

I have one (and am planning to add 2-3 more) in my S. American tank...it seems less "shy" than other catfish I have experienced.

CatsMeowww

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Chicagoland
OH, and you might find Synodontis at the Aquarium Adventure store in Hoffman Estates...they have a VAST selection of species.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
It looks like it's probably gonna be pictus cats. I know that I have seen them here at the LFS too. I might include my single Archocentrus cutteri too and probably some oto cats for algae control.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I vote a school of Scleromystax Barbatus.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I have syno petricola's in normal tap water. and they are doing great.

I live about a block from Aquarium Adventure in Hoffman and am scared of there fish. It's hit or miss I have seen some sick ones in there but they do have the best selection around. Can't say I have ever seen Syno Petricola there though.

My Fishy1 breeds them in if I remember correctly normal tap water. because they were in a tank with just a sponge filter and it was bare no crushed coral or anything to bring hardness up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store