Newbie: Help Convert SW NanoCube to FW Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
Hi,
I just realized that I'm very allergic to salt mix so I'm converting my saltwater Nano-Cube to a freshwater planted tank. I'm an equipment dummy so I need help.

I hear that the pumps in my tank are likely too strong for FW. What pumps should replace them? My current pumps are Accela SP1-1000 rated at 266 gph.

My filtration system was meant for saltwater. Three-stage filter has sponge, activated carbon (like pebbles not sand-sized), and ceramic rings for biological filtration. There is no bio-wheel. Does this make a difference? Should I try to fit on on my sump in lieu of the rings?

Also, I'm wondering if the standard lighting is too strong and if the bulbs should/can be changed. I have 105 watts of power compacts - 10,000k daytime lamps and 7100K blue actinic. Should/can the actinics be removed and replaced?

Thanks. All!
Terri

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
Use the aqua-glove, how are you allergic? I just get a painful, burning rash that's incredibly itchy.
Gloves help with the arm rash but do nothing for the stuffy nose and burning lungs and itchy eyes. The nano-cube has a fan and powerheads that seem to disperse salt in the air. So, I'm leaving it alone.

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
Okay, well, first off your going to need to empty the tank and scrub it down completely to get all the salt off the sides of the tank. How long have you had the tank? I'd say sell it, or return it and get a new tank just for the reason of the filter.

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
Okay, well, first off your going to need to empty the tank and scrub it down completely to get all the salt off the sides of the tank. How long have you had the tank? I'd say sell it, or return it and get a new tank just for the reason of the filter.
Thanks FB. I've had the tank for a month. The manufacturer wouldn't exchange it even though there is a defect in the pump. They're sending me a new pump despite my telling them I'm not mechanically handy. :irked: I looked into selling it but the return for never even having fish in the tank is dismal. :mad2:

I can buy new ceramic rings and carbon for about $15 and i already have extra sponges so the filter shouldn't be a problem but I don't know how to get the salt out of the pump line. I guess I'll just run them with some fish-friendly cleaner.

FindingBlemo

I ♥ Angelfish!
Jul 2, 2009
Black Diamond, WA
I see other people using the wet/dry filter for freshwater, so maybe all you need is some new substrate and some freshwater!

You can just run the pump in the freshwater for about 10 minutes and it'll get it all out.

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
No real need for carbon either. The sponge and ceramic rings should do you fine.

Look at getting lights in the 6-8k range. I run half 6k and half that are 8k/10k (50/50).

I would remove all the salt I could manually, then just fill it up and let it run with fresh water. After a day do a big (100% if possible) waterchange and let it run for another day. Do that a couple times and you should have gotten all the salt out.

That should be a really nice looking planted tank, I look forward to pictures!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store