"SOCK" sump filters user's I got a question for you ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
ok i bought this acrylic sock filter holder on ebay for 1.00 today here is what the ad said:

"Hello to all fellow Ebayer's !!!!! What I have here in this listing is a used 4" to 7" Acrylic Flter Sock Holder. A very nice addition to your salt water or freshwater aquarium filter system, It is built out of 1/4" Acrylic, very sturdy, nicely built, and ready to go. It can accomidate a 4" filter sock or a 7" filter sock. As far as payment I only accepy Paypal and I expect payment at the end of auction...NO EXCEPTIONS... "

my question is the 4" or 7" sock reference is that the length of the sock or the width of the sock it can hold in the top holder or do the socks just come in one size but different lengths?

and it appears this holder fits on the rim of a aquarium is that correct ?

i like messing with small DIY projects and since no one bid on this and it was so cheap i thought i would buy it and tinker with it and make something - thanks for all your help Rod

sockholder.jpg

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
4" or 7" is the diameter of the ring on the sock. I have the exact holder you have in your picture but I chose to cut off the white pipe part because it was too small for my overflow, plus it splashes quite a bit having that gap between the white tube and the top of the sock. I chose to have my overflow line go about 2" into the sock to avoid that problem. I really don't know how a 7" sock would fit on the holder, it is made for 4" socks.

You put the holder hanging on the rim of your sump and put the sock in the ring and have the overflow from your tank go into the sock.

For reference, here is the MarineDepot link to that item.
Filter Sock Holder

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Dang, ya, those are the socks. That is a GREAT deal on them right now. I need to order some more myself. I have tried other brands and my opinion is the one you linked to is the best sock for quality. Lasts the longest (I still have the 1st one I bought years ago), while other socks have worn out and had the rings crack from getting brittle. Only drawback, and this is more for the 100micron versions, is they clog up very quickly. I get 2 days max out of the 100micron version of the socks you linked to. Great thing about socks vs filter pads though is you just toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach and let sit out to air dry for a day and they are good to go again and you can do this many times.. I have probably used/washed my original sock over 100 times now and it is still good. I have 8 socks on hand which usually last me 3-4 weeks before I need to wash them.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i was able to get 3 4inch socks on ebay all for 9.00 and free shipping

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store