Low light aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am wondering what kind of plants and fish would do well in a low light brackish aquarium. I just got a new 55g and I am planning to put my dragon goby from Wal-Mart (lol) in the tank and slowly turn it into a brackish tank. My Goby hides during the day quite a bit in his current tank. I am thinking it's from the brightness.

I want to know what kind of fish and plants would be okay in a tank that isn't very bright.

I have some glassfish that I may also add to the tank, if they do not need a lot of light.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Java fern is also a low light plant, and can tolerate brackish water.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Cryptocoryne ciliata is fairly tolerant of both salt and low light.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Your DG isnt hiding due to the light. They naturally hide.lol. I got my dragon from Wally world too!
I have some swords in my tank with hornwort, bacopra moneris, java fern, marimo balls and.... umm... I forgot the name but if you pm me I will try and figure it out.

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for all the plants!

By low light, I am not expecting the tank to be dark but the current bulb I got in my 29g is extremely bright and I just want to get something a little dimmer.

I always feel bad for the goby because as soon as I turn the light back on he darts underneath some rocks.

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Dont feel bad for him! lol. If you feed them with the lights on they will get used to it. Mine will occasionally venture out during the day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store