crayfish size question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
so i want a crayfish but the biggest aquarium i have to put one in right now is a 5 gallon. i know a little one inch baby will be fine in there for a while but are there any species of crays (that are not hard to find for sale) that will be ok in a 5 gallon as an adult? what about those generic brown/reddish crays sold for a few dollars as feeders? how big do those typically get?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
The type sold as feeders will get too big- and they'll eat your fish/plants.

There are several species in the cambarellus genus that are plant safe/fish safe/(adult) shrimp safe/snail (with operculum) safe.

Cambarellus Shufedtii is perhaps the most common one- Cambarellus Patzcuerensis (sp?) is available in a nice Orange colour. There is also another species known as Montecuzomae (or something like that) - all three of these species in their wild colours are hard to differentiate and have similar habbits. They won't grow more than 1½ to 2 inches long.

If you're looking for sellers- on this website MsJinkzd has the Orange ones for sale from time to time- Jamesstill84 sells the Shufedtii. I've purchased inverts from both of them during the past year and would recommend either of them as a seller.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I have a Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp. Orange in my 5 gallon planted tank with shrimp and snails. He looks huge next to all the other inverts but is only 1.5" long. He's really cool and has a lot of personality. Also the color is amazing on these guys. They really are bright orange. MsJinkzd has some for sale you could PM her about them.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I'll agree on the personality thing (don't have a Patz myself- only shufedtii) - if you've kept shrimp - dwarf crayfish have 100 times more personality than shrimp do.

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
thanks guys! im gona look around at some lfs and see what i can find. :)

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
You probably won't find any of the dwarf crayfish in a LFS and will probably have to buy them online. As was stated Msjnxd'd has CPO's at times and I have many dwarf shufeldtii's. There are other sellers as well here on AC that would be more than willing to help you out.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Thats cool! :cool: My LFS's around here usually don't have diddly when it comes to crayfish or shrimps. It would be awesome to walk into a LFS and see some!!!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I've once seen crayfish in a store- Superpetz had what I believe now- were Alleni (they didn't know the species... or anything about them- "Corporate only tell us that they're Crayfish")

Come to think of it- the LFS and chain stores around me are bad on any inverts. The only inverts I've seen for sale- other than the Alleni are ghost shrimp and "mystery :screwy: snails" (Really Bridgesii- you'd think they could ask the seller rather than leave it as a mystery).

I think anywhere is better for finding inverts than Columbia South Carolina though.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Yeah this fish store I go to isn't a box store. They really know their stuff and get lots of cool fish and inverts in. I was at a well known box store recently asking some questions about some substrate. I told them I had cherry shrimp and they had never heard of them and asked me if I meant ghost shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store