URGENT: PLEASE HELP FEMALE BETTA FISH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
as you know i bough tmy female betta fish about a week ago. and she was picky. yesterday i put some crushed pellet in her tank. she didnt touch them. a couple of days ago she started acting sluggish. i cleaned her tank 100% water change today and found that she had some decomposing betta pellet stuck in her gill. how can i get it out?:huh: i tried taking pics but my camera sucks. with flash all you can see is some bright blue fish but you can't see the stuff clinging to her even if i zoomed. im scared of trying to get it out because i might pull some organs too? yo uknow that whitish halo that you see after a pellet stays in the water for a day? well half the pellet is inside her gills nad half is outside. the whitish halo is visible. should i get her to flare or something? this is reallly urgent i dont want her to die :( please help im so stressed :nilly: will she become infected with something? because i heard that decomposing betta pellets create ammonia. and ammonia will kill the betta. and if its half stuck in her she will die. suggestions? pelase im desperate ill try anything :(

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
id say to try and get it out,it is causing her pain and if you could wiggle it out that would be great.and i do thik tweezers wouldwork,just be sure to try to not poke her.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
how should i hold her? i am kind of afraid of tweezers bcuz if try pulling it out it might break halfway and half would just be stuck inside her with no way of getting it out. so would just getting her to flare work? and thx for the quick reply

Ava

Snail Convert!!!!!
Jan 8, 2008
Scotland
The gill of most fish has a direct cavern that leads to the mouth. It is surrounded by multiple layers of a filtering system that is filled with blood vessles. I'm in agreement with the tweezers but don't nick the blood vessels! Sounds like she tried to expell the pellet though her gills but it was too big. There's no organs you can catch there either!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Last edited:

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
about that im not sure...... try not to touch her too much
maybe you could get her into a plastic bag,cut out the corner,and drain enough water so that you can poke her head and gills through the corner and hold onto her body in the bag so you aviod oils from your skin getting on her

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
What about holding her in a wet paper towel? I some one move an oscar to a new tank with a towel before. That way you don't have to touch her the paper towel will.

DieselJunki

The Tomboy
Aug 20, 2009
USA
www.myspace.com
Won't it grow back eventually though? I mean if getting the pellet out is extremely urgent.

Ava

Snail Convert!!!!!
Jan 8, 2008
Scotland
ok then what about holding her like the paper towel but with plastic such as a sandwich bag instead? Any way is going to stress her out but if its the lesser of two evils that pellet needs to come out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store