Snails in my RCS tank...ARG

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BandiCat

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Michigan USA
It started out as one little snail...it seemed pretty harmless at first, kinda cute, ya know? Now, there are at least a dozen of them or more. I have tried to get rid of them by just taking them out of the tank, but it hasn't worked at all. Does anyone know of any way to get rid of them without doing any harm to the shrimp? I realize that the snails won't harm the tank or my RCS, but they are pretty irritating, and I know that soon they could really breed out of control if I leave them alone.

Any suggestions would be great :)

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Just make sure you are not over feeding and their numbers will not get out of control. Are just shrimp in the tank? Really i only feed my shrimp about 2-3 times a week.

This Article has some good solutions for keeping snail numbers in check. I keep "pest" snails with my cherry shrimp without any real problems.

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
You can't get rid of the snails. They lay egg packets all over the place and even if you manually remove each visisble snail, I guarantee you there are already 200 little babies in the gravel you can't even see. They can get out of control easily -- but for the most part, I've found them to be useful. They keep the glass very, very clean and eat ueaten food that drops to the gravel. They acutally help the tank to become a more complete ecosystem in functioning this way.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I successfully eradicated pond snails from a tank just by removing egg masses with a turkey baster and squashing the snails with the blunt end of a knitting needle. Depending on the size and set up of the tank it is possible.

BandiCat

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Michigan USA
It sounds like i'll have them forever, lol. I have a 20gal tank so that is heavily planted so I don't think it is possible to get them all. I guess I don't mind them just as long as their waste doesn't affect the tank parameters and they don't eat too much. Right now they are very small, about half the size of a pencil eraser. How big do they usually get?

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
If they are normal Physa pond snails the very biggest get to about the size of a small shelled almond.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Why are they irritating? Seriously, think about it. Is there any reason to be irritated by them at all? I mean really take the time to ask yourself this - are they doing anything harmful? Getting in your way? Hurting anyone? Making a mess?

Why not just enjoy them the same way you enjoy the other creatures in your system?

You can disagree with me, and that's fine. We all have opinions. I'm just reaching a point lately where I'm really taken aback by how much people have against snails - and it's leading me to believe that it all comes from being conditioned to think of them as pests or a nuisance. They're really not. Not at all.

Izzy2

AC Members
Jun 22, 2006
King of Prussia, PA
Real Name
Bob
Rent a clown loach from a friend. I have a community in a 75. A two small ones visit any tank which happens to have an abundance of pond snail. They have been in my rcs tank several times for a week or so and done a great job. They don't enter the tanks that contain the nerite snails that groom my forrests unless I rehome the nerites.

P.S. havent noticed any major loss of shrimp

Last edited:

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I love snails and have dozens of many species. But a pond snail population explosion is still nasty. They even get in filters and climb inside the shells of larger snails and bother them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store