Who did it- brigg snail deathes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
So, one of my little fishie friends either killed, or pestered to death two of my briggs snails- and then, the snail carcasses, became the favorite tank snack.

Tank occupants at the time of the incident:

-Cherry shrimp
-Male and female endlers
-Amano shrimp
-Corydoras aeneus
-Lone gold tetra (used to have a school- he's the only one left, but seems to latch on to the cories- though perhaps I should bring him to a pet store where he can have friends of his own kind)
-Baby mollies (less than 1 inch long)
-L-144 ancistrus
-otos

The tank also has or had MTS, though upon inspection- I am not sure there are too many left- I see some empty shells. Certainly not the plethora I've come to expect.

Any thoughts as to what may have happened?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I can tell you it was not the cherries, the amano, the cories, the gold tetra, the L144 or the otos.

I cannot tell you about the endlers or a bunch of baby mollies, I don't keep them.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
If a Bridgesii is hassled too much, they will close up and not eat and eventually die from starvation. Cherry shrimp, amanos, and the otos may have groomed them of algae enough to cause this. The molly fry may have thought the snail's antenna were "worms" enough times for the snails to do the same. None of your stock would "kill" the snails, but any number of them could have caused them to die.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
When one dies they quickly begin to decay in the water. If one died of old age- and the other was weak from old age- the quick change in water quality following the first's death could have resulted in the 2nd's death.

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks for the responses.

I've actually only had these for a month or so and they were supposed to be juvies, but perhaps the seller was mistaken.

I'm thinking Snoopy might be right- I did notice them being groomed by the shrimp, but didn't realize it would be bothersome for them. I did notice that one of them was closed up a lot. :(

I'm having bad luck with snails lately- I lost two nerites in my betta/frog tank, as well as these briggs. Fortunately, my other 5 nerites are doing very well.

I'm not sure about the MTS though. I'm going to some more poking around during this evening's water change.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Are you dosing anything with potassium, adding salt? Planaria in tank? Heavy metals, especially copper in water? Were they able to get to the food?

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Are you dosing anything with potassium, adding salt? Planaria in tank? Heavy metals, especially copper in water? Were they able to get to the food?
good call Reframer....

have you used any medications in your tank ever? especially ones that contain copper?

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
I have used Jungle Ich Guard, about a year ago, but that is it. The tank was taken down, cleaned out, and then set-up again with new substrate since then.

If it was a residual medicine problem, should this affect the shrimp as well as the snails?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store