Good LFS in Central Texas area?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jread

The Dwarf Puffer Guy
Jan 4, 2004
Austin, TX
www.jeremyread.net
I've been to most of the ones in Austin but haven't been able to find certain things (Amano shrimps, etc. are completely nonexistent here). Does anyone know of a really good LFS in the Central Texas area? I'm even willing to drive all the way down to San Antonio if I need to.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i'd call ahead to see if they have what you are looking for. but if you do make it down I-35 i'd stop at the store next to the Snake
Farm [ Darbys Tropical Fish. just south of new braunfels] and check out their stuff. healthy fish. good advice. not quite the cheapest. but very good people.

and if you go down to san antonio, i usually check out Texas Tropical and Marine- off of Vance-Jackson. a block off freeway 410. they have a lot off stuff- good prices on most fish. calling first would make sense as your looking at 75+ miles one way.
i havent tried the other fish places in S.A. because i dont know the traffic/neighborhoods that well yet.

I 've been to Amazonia a bunch of times but haven't tried the Aquadome yet. whats that place like? where else in austin is good?

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i forgot. if it was africans cichlids you are looking for .. Armeke's is in new braunfels.. they are about to move into a huge new building. i think they are a little behind schedule though.

never seen amano shrimp there though.

jread

The Dwarf Puffer Guy
Jan 4, 2004
Austin, TX
www.jeremyread.net
Originally posted by andruboz
I 've been to Amazonia a bunch of times but haven't tried the Aquadome yet. whats that place like? where else in austin is good?
Aquadome is a neat little place: freshwater downstairs, saltwater upstairs. Has that "South Austin Hippie" atmosphere to it that you find so often around here :) Decent selection of plants.

The best freshwater store I've found in Austin, HANDS DOWN, is Aquatek on Burnet Rd. They have the largest selection I've seen in the entire city, a good plant section, knowledgeable employees and tons of variety. Someone just told me earlier that they have Amano's and Red shrimp when they're in season. I didn't see any rare plants there when I went, but they hadn't had any shipments over the holidays. There was a sign saying that they were getting a major shipment on January 5th (today). Will have to go back and see what all they've got. If you haven't been there yet, you must go!

Here's their info:

AquaTek Tropical Fish
8023 Burnet Rd.
Austin TX 78757
512-450-0182

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
jread and I have been pm'ing on this one today. I like Aquadome also, they sometimes have unusual offerings. I got my longfinned white clouds there at a bargain price. Rivers and Reefs on S. Congress is smaller in selection, but he keeps his tanks in style and it's worth a looksee. Steve, who used to be a full time employee at Amazonia, recently bought Pet Corral, and is really working on turning it into a LFS, rather than the pet store it was, although I think he will concentrate primarily on cichlids.

There's also a place in Cedar Park that my dad likes, Pet Connection. Never been there myself though.

freshfishy

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
TX
webspace.utexas.edu
There is a new store over by Northcross mall. I think it's called Austin Aquariums but I'm not sure. I used to love Aquadome, Aquatek is so expensive and I've had a couple of bad experiences with Ick from Amazonia. This new place is completely AWESOME. Honestly one of the best that I've ever been to. If you know where the alamo draft house is you turn to the left across the street from it and you'll find it in a little shopping center on your right. They have the best selection, healthy fish, and if you ask for a tour of the back he'll be more than willing, and you'll be VERY impressed, I know I was. Check it out! I wish I remember the name...Austin Aquariums sounds close or right though.

jread

The Dwarf Puffer Guy
Jan 4, 2004
Austin, TX
www.jeremyread.net
Originally posted by freshfishy
There is a new store over by Northcross mall. I think it's called Austin Aquariums but I'm not sure. I used to love Aquadome, Aquatek is so expensive and I've had a couple of bad experiences with Ick from Amazonia. This new place is completely AWESOME. Honestly one of the best that I've ever been to. If you know where the alamo draft house is you turn to the left across the street from it and you'll find it in a little shopping center on your right. They have the best selection, healthy fish, and if you ask for a tour of the back he'll be more than willing, and you'll be VERY impressed, I know I was. Check it out! I wish I remember the name...Austin Aquariums sounds close or right though.
It's Austin Aquariums. They are definitely the best marine dealer in Austin. Their freshwater stuff is ok.... not a big selection, though. They do have those freaky new glowing danios I noticed!

I dunno, I just consider them more of a marine store.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
now that i know where to look, i feel an all day fish road trip coming on.

slightly off topic but still in texas - is there an Austin fish/cichlid society type group?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store