Snail 'Tank'

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
This is my new snail 'tank', they will be living in here from now on. I finally sold my 20 & 30gal tanks, so I had to find them a new place to live. The 3 Apple snails also live here, several Pond snails and a few others that look kinda like a cross between apple and pond but have bumps on them like tiny spikes. I'm guessing it's about a 10Gal, maybe 15Gal, it's on my dryer so I hope the vibrations of it being on don't annoy the snails. The green little clear bucket is where I grew algae, fake plants have TONS of egg sacks on them, same 20/30g rated filter from their old tank and another clear bucket that I also used for algae but it failed to grow, so hopefully it'll grow now and it will give the snails more surface area to munch on.
What do you guys think? What should I be feeding them and how do I care for the egg sacks? How long before they hatch and/or how do I know they are viable??

Last edited:

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
That looks pretty good for a snail set up! Just keep the water clean and moving and it should be good. My only concern is that the Apple snails may get out.

The apple snails lay eggs out of the water--above the water line--and no care is required. Just let them hang on and see if they are fertile. The other snails lay eggs in the water and no care is required.

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
:iagree:you should probably put a top on it,
other than that it looks pretty good!

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Those darned Apple snails keep breeding but refusing to lay eggs, so I'm not worried about them. They never went out of the water in my other tanks, if I'm cleaning sand and the water level drops past them, they let go and sink to the bottom. If they do get out and onto the floor, dinner for my Chi mix dog. The filter is a turtle filter and has a small nozzle that pushes water around nicely.

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
better safe than sorry,i hava an apple who nevr went above the water but i moved him to his new home and he went exploreing allover the hood of the tank

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
My female brigg mated several times with a male that I had. I rehomed the male and my female did not lay eggs until several months later. She escaped once and almost made it out a second time. She eventually ended up laying 2 batches of eggs in my hood. You never know when they will decided to lay eggs. The females can hold the sperm for quite a while.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
I have nothing to cover it with either way. They have been in at least 4 different tanks, all open top since my fish don't fly on little fish dares between each other.

brittanyd0203

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Vienna, WV
I would definitely advise putting a lid on it. I had a female who decided she wanted to explore after laying a clutch so she crawled out. I found her the next morning at the bottom of the stairs tightly sealed in her shell. I'm going to take a guess and say she met my cats. She was fine but I went out that day and bought a lid for the tank.

As far as clutches go, you need to lower the water level enough that the female will be able to remove herself from the water to lay her clutch. There isn't much care required as long as the clutch stays moist (but not soaked) and doesn't fall into the water. I take mine and put them on a floating piece of styrofoam to ensure they don't fall in. I would add a bubble stone if you get a lid since this will help to keep moisture in the air for the clutch. Good luck!

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
I might have to put my male Opaline in with them since I may be selling the tank he is in and my female Opaline hates him...
Oh, I will be taking pics of cute little snail munching tracks in a second. They found the algae tub I was growing last night! Snails do clean glass, but you have to be an ant to be able to see through them well, lol.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store