FX5 after 4 months running non-stop

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
On July 12 I installed my first Fluval FX5 on my established 100 tank and removed the Magnum 350. Up until now it has been running non-stop without any diminished flow but after more then 4 months running I figured it was time to at least take a look. Below each photo explained.

Below you can see the full stack of circumference and basket filters and the Poly-quilt polishing pads inundated with dirt.

Below you can see when the filter is rotated not all the pads have been used up yet, This is the beauty of large circumference surface area filtration. I could have easily gone another 2 months before servicing was needed.

Below you see 1 of 6 huge sponges lifted out of its frame in 3 increasing close ups showing how the polishing pads really collect the dirt and how white the obstructed portion of the filter looks in comparison.

Lastly below you see how easily it is to peel away the Poly-quiltfilter blanket without leaving any bits behined and making for a much faster servicing as the sponges hardly need any cleaning. You wont see this kind of dirt on a stackable filter, not unless its clogs.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
So wait..

Did you cut micron filter blanket and wrap the circumference filters with it?

What is the Polishing pad in your pix? I assumed it was the round Fluval pads..

What size micron pad are you using? 50? 100?

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
"You wont see this kind of dirt on a stackable filter, not unless its clogs. "
Ha! you should see my 2026 when I clean it once a year!

Nice to see the innards on the FX5 during cleaning time, any filter that can go without cleaning for 6 months is ok in my book...

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Nice but with a heavily planted tank it gets much dirtier than that. I usually go about a month unless I tear things up in the tank which is like all the time . I like the extra filter material that you added to the sponge filter, great idea.

RDTigger

Newest member of F.A.R.T.
Jul 4, 2009
Pawleys Island, SC
So wait..

Did you cut micron filter blanket and wrap the circumference filters with it?

What is the Polishing pad in your pix? I assumed it was the round Fluval pads..

What size micron pad are you using? 50? 100?
Yea... I like that idea...:clap:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store