Cray, stiphodon/sicyopterus and danio questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Hey all!

I'm working on a little thing to inspire people who want to stock a 10 gallon tank. Just a variety of stocking options laid out in a list, with various difficulty and uniqueness.
I already have some questions, and I hope to make this a collaborative work. Once I get a few of the basics down, I'll post the first version, and ask for help, expertise and opinions.
Anyway, a few questions for now.

Medium danios, like zebras and leopards. Too active/large for a ten gallon? I'm leaning towards 'yes', but I'd like other opinions.

Crayfish. I know nothing about these guys. Can you have more than one in a 10gal without them killing each other? What about tankmates? What would those of you with experience recommend for a 10 gal?

Stiphodon/sicyopterus, aka 'freshwater gobies'- I can't find info on these guys! How big do they get? What temps/pH do they like? Are they social, or will one do fine in a tank?

Thanks!!!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Medium danios, like zebras and leopards. Too active/large for a ten gallon? I'm leaning towards 'yes', but I'd like other opinions.

I think so, they are really boisterous and would like a longer tank.

Crayfish. I know nothing about these guys. Can you have more than one in a 10gal without them killing each other? What about tankmates? What would those of you with experience recommend for a 10 gal?
If dealing with dwarf species, Cambarellus schufeldti or Cambarellus patzcuarensis "ornage" you can keep a pair in a 10g. The important thing to remember with these is they need ample hiding spaces for after molting. They are also invert and fish and plant safe so are a good choice.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i don't have any experience with Procambarus. Marmokrebs you could probably keep a single one, maybe even more. I just started with those and don't have alot of experience with them to chime in too definitively. I am keeping mine in a 20H as they get to a decent size.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
You could definitely keep a few stiphs in a 10 gallon tank. Size depends on species, but most you'll find won't get much bigger than 2.5 to 3 inches. Most importantly, is making sure to have high dissolved oxygen levels, and a good amount of algae (they don't seem to like cyano or many of the hair type algaes) present in the tank before you get them. Being wild caught, most of them take a while to adapt to commercial foods, and for the most part, will not feed out of the water column, so find a way to constrain the food to the bottom of the tank where they can feed at leisure. Putting a chunk of frozen food in a jelly jar on the bottom of the tank is a great way to feed, as are sinking pellets and gel food.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
You could definitely keep a few stiphs in a 10 gallon tank. Size depends on species, but most you'll find won't get much bigger than 2.5 to 3 inches. Most importantly, is making sure to have high dissolved oxygen levels, and a good amount of algae (they don't seem to like cyano or many of the hair type algaes) present in the tank before you get them. Being wild caught, most of them take a while to adapt to commercial foods, and for the most part, will not feed out of the water column, so find a way to constrain the food to the bottom of the tank where they can feed at leisure. Putting a chunk of frozen food in a jelly jar on the bottom of the tank is a great way to feed, as are sinking pellets and gel food.

Thanks Inka! I hear Stiphs are similar to Sicyos, so the requirements are probably similar.
Are they cold water or tropical? Any ideas about pH?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Sicyopterus are similar, but many get much larger. I've also had the most trouble prepared food wise, with sicyopterus japonicus. If you can find sicyopus zosterophorus, they are carnivorous, so eat really readily right off the bat, and also look great. Sicyopterus lagocephalus apparently gets to about 5" but are pretty bulletproof ime, and are amongst the easiest feeders. Unfortunately, there is not much info on the web concerning water parameters, but because of their breeding habits many have inordinately wide distributions and I'd assume that they're not terribly picky. This thread is what started my whole obsession with these guys. Packed with pictures, and a lot of good info.

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic...&start=0&sid=a5323099be60a75f61e8411bef07d941

The OP on that thread keeps his tank in the 8s somewhere, but mine have been doing fine closer to 6.5. Haven't seen any sort of breeding activity though, so maybe the higher pH is closer to ideal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store