DO SHRIMP NEED CYCLED WATER?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
sorry for the caps lock but i'm tryin to draw attention!

i have a tank set up with all water from facet thats been treated with water conditioner

my yellow dwarf shrimp are coming tomorrow and my question is do shrimp need cycled water like fish? or will they be fine in the all-new water thats treated to get the metals out? i really dont wanna screw things up with these shrimp so i just want to make sure!! any knowledgeable replies are appreciated! thanks!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They need a fully cycled tank and preferably one that is well established. Tap water is fine, but you need a seeded filter or established tank. They do not tolerate fluctuations in parameters at all well.

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
ok well its a brand new tank, full of brand new water treated with water conditioner...

will it be ok to drain half the water from it and put in some water from my established 75 gal? will that make it livable?

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Could you get a bunch of gravel from your larger tank, as well as some media from the filter? That will help as well.

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
i can swipe out my ten gal filter from my RCS tank to use on this other shrimp tank, filter cartridge and all, with the 50% water from the 75 gal tank, will that be suffice?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
don't worry about the water from the 75, the filter media or established gravel would be enough. Plants help as well

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
**** already immediately drained half the water lol

i will just refill it with the 75 water anyways, and put some gravel in a pantyhose and plop it down in the filter...i really needa savour these guys i've looked everywhere for them! thanks for everyones help sure appreciate it!!!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
In case the new tanks are not ready or inadequate when shrimps arrive, all you need to do is to acclimate them to 75 G tank, provided water is acceptable range for new shrimps).

Using any clear plastic Jar with lid but with holes punched thru out the jar for circulation or Breeder trap big enough to handle the amt of shrmps, perhaps few traps as needed basis, in order to accomodate their need in 75G until their new home is ready/safe.

Just a thought in case of emergency!

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
My best advice would be to acclimate shrimp VERY SLOWLY.
I know this may be extreme, but I spend between 1 - 2 HOURS
acclimating my shrimp to their new tank.
Just be sure not to rush it.

Steve

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
I received them today! they all are alive and well despite being in the mail for 6 days with only a 3-day heatpack, AND their bag leaking (which would've ruined the heatpack as soon as it got wet). I'm amazed they're alive... & they seem to be doing just fine in their newly set-up tank.

I planned on getting another pantyhose packed with gravel from the 75 and plopping it down in their tank tonight yet, just incase the beneficial bacteria from the first pantyhose may have died off or something? cuz i had nothing in the tank for 3-4 days until the shrimps arrived, and somebody told me to put something in the tank to 'feed' the beneficial bacteria until the shrimps arrived. I didnt do that. So i'll just add another chunk of gravel and hopefully things will work out just fine! They look great! & thanks for all the help guys! & Cerianthus thanks for the tip idk y i never thought about that but brilliant idea!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store