Clown loache questions!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimlynn

AC Members
Jul 10, 2009
Hi there I have a 240 gallon. In it i have tiger barbs, cherrt barbs, black skirts, blueberry tetras, blue tetras, red-eye tetras, and 2 BN pleacos.

I was wondering if i could buy four clown loaches for my tank with my fish now?

Do clown loaches eat other fish or kill other fish like plecos and stuff?

please help me!!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The clowns will be fine with those fish. You don't state how many of each of those varieties of fish you have but I doubt you're overstocked with a 240G. Clowns are peaceful, good community tank fish. They are active, but fun to watch.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
you should totally add some clowns. In 20 years, they'll possibly eat some smaller fish, but hey :) You should get 6 though. 4 isn't really enough for them to be their most social and active.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's a nice size tank for clown loaches, they should be fine. Instead of 4 I'd suggest 6 for better social interactions & more loachy fun.

Jinx, fast typing angyles

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Loaches are very peaceful critters, UNLESS you have snails that you intend to keep intact. In that case, you better move the snails. They are voracious snail eaters. :) Probably shrimp too, once they get big enough. In fact, if you have a little 10 gallon somewhere and want to breed MTS or other snails for them, they'll greatly appreciate the snacks. :)

Would love to see pics of the 240 gallon aquarium! Sounds beautiful!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Rainbowcharmer, I would not go as far as saying all loaches (as your wording interprets) are peaceful. Not all loaches behave like that. Exceptional cases include the skunks, modestas and those of the Syncrossus genus. These ones are very feisty fish, something not to consider keeping in community tanks.

Clown loaches though should be absolutely fine with those fish.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Clowns would be great in that tank. I agree with everyone else on getting more than 4. If it were me, I'd probably get 10 for a tank that size. I've got 6 in my 150 right now and when I get a bigger tank (probably wont be for a few years), I'm definitely adding a lot more clowns

Tazman1993

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2009
hi there i have a 120 liter tank (4ft) and i have some neons and cardinal tetras and a couple of lemon tetra 3 algae shrimp 3 BN plecos a farowella twig catfish and 3 otosinclus and i was wondering if i would put some tiger barbs in without them killing the neons and the shrimp and also wat would be the best snail eater to add in other than the assasin snail that will not harm the shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store