Will snails keep newly cycled tank cycled?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
First off, please forgive my ignorance. I have a newly cycled 10-gallon tank to which I will eventually transfer my betta, Travis. I will then use his well established 3-gallon tank as a shrimp tank. However, my lfs doesn't have the shrimp I want right now, so for now Travis stays where he is. My question is, will a couple of large mystery snails be enough to keep the 10-gallon cycled pending Travis's relocation? There are several small Malaysian trumpet snails and at least one small ramshorn snail already in the 10-gallon, but I was thinking a couple of large mystery snails would help keep the bio-load up. (I don't want to buy any starter fish unless I have to because I don't want to have to try and catch them and relocate them to another tank once Travis gets moved.) Params on new 10-gallon are ammonia 0; nitrites 0; nitrates 10; pH 7.4. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. :feedback:

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
I may put one in with the shrimp and the other in the 29-gallon, or maybe both will go in the 29. In any event, they will have a good home, just not with Travis -- he ate his last mystery snail housemate. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store