Sick goldfish-paralysis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ponyta

AC Members
Dec 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I have a sick goldfish in qt, with scepticemia which I've been feeding medigold for 12 days now. It seemed to be getting better, but then it jumped out Monday night (found it on the floor Tues morning- scared the crap out of me). I felt so bad...I put it back in the water as soon as I found it (had a feeling it wasn't dead yet).

Its still alive, but now it lies on side and doesn’t seem able or want to swim. Its having trouble keeping upright and won’t eat ( tried holding it and putting food near its mouth). Has anyone has something like this happen before- do the fish recover with time? Perhaps it suffered some neuro damage from being out of water so long- what do you guys think?

jinchi

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
I have a sick goldfish in qt, with scepticemia which I've been feeding medigold for 12 days now. It seemed to be getting better, but then it jumped out Monday night (found it on the floor Tues morning- scared the crap out of me). I felt so bad...I put it back in the water as soon as I found it (had a feeling it wasn't dead yet).

Its still alive, but now it lies on side and doesn’t seem able or want to swim. Its having trouble keeping upright and won’t eat ( tried holding it and putting food near its mouth). Has anyone has something like this happen before- do the fish recover with time? Perhaps it suffered some neuro damage from being out of water so long- what do you guys think?

Sorry I cant answer your question (Im new at goldfish) but can you explain what scepticemia is?

thanks

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Septicemia is one of the most common bacterial infection caused by Aeromonas hydrophila. It happens usually when a primary health issue breaks open the slime coating particularly ich thus allowing the bacteria (which is always present in the water) to gain access into the blood vessels of the fish hence hemorrhaging starts to set in. It can be a tricky issue to deal with so broad spectrum antibiotics are used to battle this issue.

I never had goldfish jumping out and seemingly paralyzed after that but I did have bettas and arowana that start recovering slowly after having been stuck outside water for some time. If I were you, perhaps do another water change and give him time to recover. He needs to suppress his trauma first from that incident.

Ponyta

AC Members
Dec 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I did a water change yesterday and got a closer look at it. It's looking worse than I thought..almost the whole tail is now bloody, as well as some of its dorsal in and there's some fuzz growing on half of its side. So its not paralyzed, but infection.. I'm starting to get worried- its now worse than it was when it was sick. :( I'll try to post some pics later.
Sigh. Its still not eating (think it wants to but can't stay upright), so the medi-gold is not going to work anymore..should I switch to antibiotics in the water instead?

Last edited:

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
Sorry to hear that, hope he/she gets better.

Ponyta

AC Members
Dec 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I did as suggested and got my goldfish on both Maracyn and II. Some of the fuzz has fallen off its gill cover but its still really thick (maybe 1/2 a centimeter..bleh). Other than that its still lying on its side. I haven't attempted to feed it as it probably wouldn't eat anyways. Please keep your fingers crossed :)

just1moretank

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Do you test? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

When fish fail to recover with meds, I usually look to water quality. It generally explains why.

Ponyta

AC Members
Dec 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
It's too late- it died this morning. :( It wasn't looking good to begin with (whole side was infected), but I'm still bummed..first goldfish I've lost for years...will be burying it in the backyard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store