Been Thinking....Now I have a Shrimp Question for You...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
From what I've read, red cherry shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions and to changing water conditions. The recommendation is to only do a 20% weekly water change on the shrimp tank. I never paid much mind to it but then realized I've got young cherries in my 10G with some fry. I change the water in that tank several times a week, replaced 75% of the water each time. The cherries don't mind. In my 75G and 55G I also have some lovely red cherries, some young, some adults. Those tanks also undergo a 75-80% water change weekly. The cherries in there don't mind either. So they can't be as sensitive as all the information says?

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I agree with you on that one. My cherry shrimp tank gets 50-75% water changes weekly as well. Maybe it is deteriorating water conditions that they are sensitive to more so than the water changes.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I'm sure they are sensitive to deteriorating water conditions....all the tank life is. But I'm thinking they are a little hardier than we give them credit for. I also must admit I've never drip acclimated a shrimp!:lipssealedsmilie:

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I change 50% of the water in my cherry shrimp tank once every 2 weeks. I have a lot of plants and the tank's been set up for a while. I haven't had any problems with the shrimp in a while. Though you also have to take into consideration that cherry shrimp are pretty tough. More delicate species might have trouble adjusting to large water changes.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Yeah, IME the Cherries are VERY hardy species--just on the brink of being a pest. The thing that kills them off quickly is overfeeding.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
The thing that kills them off quickly is overfeeding.
Which results in quickly declining water quality which will also kill fish off rapidly. So another vote for pretty hardy (and pesky!) LOL!

BandiCat

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Michigan USA
I totally agree! RCS seem to be extremely hardy. I went on a 10 day trip over the summer leaving them with an automatic feeder and a little food block. When I got back they were happier than ever, no deaths had occured, and I swear there were at least 20 more than I had remembered having in the tank from before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store