biting the bullet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
decided to do a FO or FOWLR tank as opposed to freshwater. I have a hydor canister filter and an aquaclear110. no substrate yet in the 75g. it's completely empty. I'm limited on my lighting as the hood only supports 1 light. can i get by with this? I'm not looking to spend a crazy amount on the setup of this tank (currently on disability with a broken ankle). I know I'm supposed to used a crushed coral, or similiar, substrate. Do you guys have any specifics for me to go by...such as decently priced brands of the different things that will be required for this?
Do I NEED a skimmer? if so....any examples would be great

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
If you're going for cheap, you can use playsand from depot. I build my own rock, and you can too, lots of info online about it. Rinse the sand well.

Just don't go crazy adding fish all at once, let nature catch up and build the bioload over time. Lights are good, but my first tank did not have much for light in the beginning, but a lot more fun to watch when lit good.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
yeah, I do want to stay cheap, but i was thinking about getting some live sand. can i mix it with play sand to keep the costs down? I know there are benefits to live sand so i dont want to completely go without.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Store bought live sand is a waste IMO, it has too much dieoff, in fact you could go w/out sand all together.
Live rock is the biggest part of filtration, 1-2lbs per G.
Your light may not be enough, a rough guideline is 3-5w per G, but that varies w/ bulb choice, T5's are a nice way to go, PC's OK.
Canisters are not ideal for SW, nitrate sinks, but if you remove all media and just push water they are OK, maybe add carbon.
Crushed coral also adds trates, sand is better if you go that route.
Since you are on disability, guessing time is plenty, so you could go w/out skimmer for now, but be dilligent on weekly water changes, 10% weekly.
But ideally, a skimmer should be added IMO, and a sump is nice also, though there are hang on gear.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
time is plenty! lol. i'm pushing just over a half watt per gallon with this t-8 haha. i know i'm going to have to get a two-light setup, but it isn't possible at this time.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
That is a bit low, but there are some simple low light needy corals, mushrooms, GSP, feather dusters, maybe zenia.
It takes a bit to cycle anyway, but plan to upgrade down the road on light.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
corals, mushrooms, GSP, feather dusters...these all fall into the reef category correct? I want to keep it simple...live rock doesn't come with any of that stuff right? The more i read up on these things the more confusing it gets. everyone has different and sometimes conflicting ideas.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Depot play sand will work fine, Aragonite sand will buffer the tank better though. Rinse it good, then order some Garf Grundge to seed it out. You can get a small amount for like 25 bucks. Lots of life in it, and coraline and even snails and crabs, although the crabs were dead in my order from being buried.

Otherwise ask a fellow salty to lend you a cup full. There is a different set of life that lives in the sand vs the rock, some of the life is the same.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
id sand from home depot the same as pool filter sand? I've used PFS in freshwater tanks before, and it was considerably cheap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store