Absolute DISASTER with neons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
My neons (some of you may have seen the 1800 fish in one tank thread) are crashing by the dozens. Otocinclus and hatchets are unaffected as are all the contaminant pencil fish. The neons turn upside down, go pale, float to the surface and die. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, temp 75. Filter is an xp3. 50% daily water changes. These fish came in from import sunday (arrived in teh country saturday). I put a fully cycled and established filter (the xp3) from my 75g discus tank as well as all the rocks and gravel from my 55g Oscar tank. There have been no fluctuations. I have no idea what is going on here. They are literally dropping (well floating) like flies by the dozens each minute. Does ANYONE have any advice? I put purigen in the filter in case it was a contaminent (though i would think the hatchets and the otos would be effected as well). I am distraught, freaking out, and devestated. Please give advice

svf

Jul 14, 2006
Falls Church, VA
www.madoboe.com
Real Name
Susan
Camera Used
My cell phone.
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear it, Rach!
My only guess is that neons are fragile... You seem to be doing all the right things.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
its like someone dropped in that chemical that they use in ponds to kill ALL the fish...except this is for neons only. I have never ever seen anything like how they are dying, its super fast. I feel hopeless, i don't know what else to do for them :(

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Large water change? You've probably already done that, but it's all I can think of atm. Good luck Rachel, it sounds like you're doing everything possible!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
it should be good. I added an airstone when they first started crashing. I also dropped teh water level so the xp3 is making quite teh surface disruption.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
OMG Jinkz... what a nightmare... the first thing I would think of would be contaminant too but like you said, it doesnt make sense as to why the neons are floating and nothing else is.... as mention also, I would think it was just a weak source but it doesn't seem to fit with how many are dropping and why so quickly... as if there was a shock to their system for some reason... sorry I wish I could help Jinkz... I know you must be flipping...

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Oh Rachel, I feel for you! Sounds like your week isn't done yet. Do you know if they are wild caught? Maybe your water is just too different than they are used to. I know it doesn't help much, but it sounds like you are doing everything that can be done.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Rach.. I'm so sorry to hear that's happening. I know how much you wanted to save them all. Just hang in there.. the stronger ones should still be okay. You're doing all the right things. They just need time to rest, adapt, get settled in again.

Hope the worst of that is over already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store