Tell me about PVA String and mesh bags

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Ok, I have to admit, I am not a fisherman. I assume from what I know about carp, and the mention of fast dissoliving pva bags, that the bags let you throw a bait bag into a location, and wait, and it dissolves, attracting carp. Tell me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that's what happens.

This leaves me with the question, how would you use PVA string then? is it to allow a bait to be in one place and then move?

And finally, my reason for asking... I was searching for a fast-dissolving string to use in planted tanks. I'm guessing by the nature of fishing, this string dissolves in a matter of minutes, where I would prefer days-weeks... but I could still see a 20-minute hold useful for securing larger plant roots before adding substrate to planted tanks. Would this be an ok string to use in a tank? How long does it take to dissolve?

Thanks, I know this is a little off topic for the fishing forum, but I thought I'd have the best chance of finding an answer here.

carpfisher

Registered Member
Nov 23, 2009
I'm sure this is the only question I will be able to answer on here for quite sometime:cool:. I have been fishing for carp professionally for about 5 years. Anyways, pva string is mainly used to tie the pva bag to your line. You can also use it to string-up boilies which are a boiled dough bait.

It ultimately does the same thing a bag does. I find that it dissolves in less than 3-4 minutes. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store