My Angels are spawning, what should I do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newdreamz

AC Members
Oct 18, 2008
Never breed angels before, only live bearers and Neolamprologus pulcher "daffodil" cichlids.

I noticed 2 of my angels seemed to pair up a few days ago. The one seeming to have a really big belly but i sumed it up to being full due to them just eating. Watching them before the next feeding time they appeared to be cleaning one of the plant leaves. I noticed the fat one had a nice little tube sticking out of her underside. OK, that one is the female, but the one that she paired up with didnt have anything underneath. I found an empty tank, filled it up with their tank water, heater, sponge filter and a nice tall rock with flat sides. Was going to move them last night into that tank. I wasnt feeling well so i said i will do it tomorrow......

Well before i could get around to doing it i was watching them and they seemed to be going at some dry runs on the leaf. Not sure if i should mess with them at the moment i turned to my handy internet to see if i could find more info on what to do. trying to see if i really had male/female. I went back to the tank and opps she had already started laying eggs... once she started depositing the eggs i noticed her mate finally has his (i hope) little point sticking out. She would lay a couple rounds of eggs while he fended off any other tankmates, then he would go behind her and hopefully fert they eggs.

I unplugged the filter once they started thinking maybe the water flow would disrupt any sperm, since they decided to do this under the return hose. I waited aprox 30 min after they were done and fanning the eggs and plugged it back in.

They are in my 110 display tank with lots of other tankmates.
12 angels half dollar size-adults ~ 2 opal groumies ~1 discus 3" ~ 3 blue rams ~ cory 2 green 2albino ~ 20 different neons ~ Snails 4 trapdoor 2 apple. 50% planted. temp 80 ~ph 7.5 ~gh 7~kh 4~no 0~nh 0

Here are some pics, does it look like i have a male? (black marble)
Female golden... Did i get the colors right?

Should i still move them to the other tank, i dont think they have much chance in the big tank with so many predators. If they are fertile?

angel male marble.png angel pair spawning.png pr angels spawning.png angel sawn neon.png angel spawn.png angels spawn.png angels spawn and discus.png angels spawning.png Gold angel female weggs.png Male angel black marble.png angel pr spawning.png

newdreamz

AC Members
Oct 18, 2008
Its been over 3 hrs now since she first started depositing eggs. She stopped for aprox 1hr now she keeps making passes over the eggs like she is laying more, but i dont really see any coming out. Is this normal?

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
I would agree on your guesses at the sexes, looking at their tubes in the pictures. They will pass over the eggs for several hours and then should regularly fan them for the next few days. Been a long time since I raised angels but they will have a tough time of it keeping them. Between the tank mates and their nerves with all the company. Good luck.

newdreamz

AC Members
Oct 18, 2008
im just wondering if i should still move them to the other tank... and if so when should i do that. wait till shes done passing over them, tomorrow? not sure what will stress them more, moving them or the pestering tankmates ?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If you really want the fry, I would move them to their own tank. It may upset them but sooner or later they will spawn...may be a few tries before they get it right.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
If you really want the fry, I would move them to their own tank. It may upset them but sooner or later they will spawn...may be a few tries before they get it right.
I agree with Bob these probably won't make it give them a few tries they will get it right. Congrats

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store