"stuff" on plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
My tank has been up for a few months, and I have 2 20 watt fixtures that run for about 9-10 hrs. Now on my plants (after a few days of the new plant) will form hairs or algae on the plant. What is this and what should I do?

Thanks

New plant,

a few days or a week later...

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
i would turn your lighting down too, about an hour or two to start.

BagelDog

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Montana
I agree with Rocker and TimWag.

I'd personally turn the photo period down to about 6-7 hours a day and work my way up from there.

If you're nervous about the peroxide dip, I'd scrub the tank walls and GENTLY remove the algae from the plant leaves. Then do a decent water change and vacuum as much of the stray algae as possible. Keep up on the cleaning and water changes and that alone will keep the algae down.

By the way, what size tank are we talking about and what spectrum of light are your bulbs?

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
I had similar probs. brown algae bloom diagnosed as too much diatom bloom. I have to w/c & scrub tank glass & barebottom,. & wipe plant leaves off. still comes back in my case & don't have my lights on that long, just for viewing.

bmore

Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
i had the same problem, i got 4 otto catfish and they will clean everything for you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store