rose tip bubble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
My friend is getting a 30 gal hex tank and is dead set on getting a rose tip bubble anemone. The light she is looking at is either a 150w de mh or a 250w de mh. Which one would be best. I was pushing for the 250 watt, but thought it might be overkill. Any suggestions on which would be better?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Your friend is jumping the gun. You really want to have an established tank before you add an anemone. They are very sensitive to water conditions and you need to have good water and good light. The 150w would be fine over the 30gallon. I have 150w over my 125 (3 lights) and I have a GBTA and a RBTA. Water quality is key and that is why you typically wait for a year before getting an anem. Just my opinion based on my experience. Every day there is something new in this hobby to learn.

Good luck with the 30 that is a nice size tank and eventually once established would be a great tank for an anem and pair of clowns perhaps.

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
She is going to wait awhile before getting it. She is going to get the tank up and running in stages (get the liverock, get it running, then get the light, and later get the anemone). I don't think it is anything that is going to happen in the next 6 months (I'll push for a year, especially if she is has any problems with the tank). I've suggested a pistol shrimp and shrimp goby for the tank for a while, but don't know if they will have to go when she does get the anemone.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Sounds good. Think the year, while the typical statement that is made, is to make sure the parameters/tank are stable and established. The RBTAs seem to move quite a bit in the tank and the GBTA I have does not seem to move at all - only in the same rock.

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
Thanks for the info Almondsaz, one more question for now if you don't mind. What powerheads would you suggest? Since it is such a small tank I was leaning for a Korilla 2. Ideally with it being a hex, a vortech would be best, but I don't think she is going to drop that kind of money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store