Ryukin Bloated and Swimming at an Angle with Loaches in tank & Baby Fantail Sick??!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
My Ryukin girl has been swimming at an angle this morning. I also think she is a bit pudgy. I fed them shelled peas and will be feeding them peas for dinner as well. I have two Dojo Loaches in the tank and 2 of my Golds look to have the start of Ich. I can't relocate the Dojos because the fish didn't have Ich until the Loaches showed up. Any way to treat w/o killing the Loaches?
Also, our baby Fantail looks off too. I'll post a link to a vid. I did a 50QT w/c this morning, will do about 40 more in the afternoon.
Here is a pic of the Ryukin, line shows the angle she usually is at when she sits still.

This pic is from last night, no tilt, does she look too fat?

Here are pics of the new fish, her gut looks a bit off too...

Last edited:

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
what size tank are they in? i wouldnt personally worry about the tilt, mine do this from time to time, it rarely lasts. also, ive treated goldie tanks with dojos in them beofre and my dojos never seemed to worry, always came through it without any problems, if i were you id treat my whole tank but obviously you could remove the loaches and treat them separately.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
That is a pretty fish, I can't offer any advise as I don't have a lot of experience with goldfish. Hope you get the problem under control.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Does the ryukin poop well? If not, it could be constipation in which case a high fiber diet or fasting for a week are two options you may consider. Unless the ryukin's scaes protrude in a dropsy fashion, I would personally worry too much but do watch out for its appetite and the way it expels its poop. If it tilts, perhaps your light setting needs to be adjusted. Fish tend to tilt slightly in response to light angles. It happens a lot and is often unnoticeable until you see something differentthe way it swims when you observe only too closely.

As for your other fish, its body does look far from symmetrical to me. I'd suspect internal tumor there which unfortunately is quite common for a lot of goldfish. I do not believe there is a treatment that would simply keep it away. Do you have access to fish vets? They might charge a little high if you are willing to have your fish checked thoroughly and treated if deemed necessary by your local fish vet (not any other typical vets that do not specialize in fish at all).

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Well, the little fish kept hiding under the filters or behind plants and was even afraid of the other fish, so we opted to bring her back to the store. We got another Fantail instead, 2x bigger and far more active. Pics in a sec.

The Ryukin made a big, long, thick poop mid-day today. She seems to be doing better now after that. I fed them all shelled peas for breakfast and dinner. I will be feeding them slightly less from now on.

Random Q, how do you feed frozen bloodworms to fish...? Lol, I bought some for our Dojo Loaches, Golds will prolly steal some. But in general, no idea how to feed. Do I just drop in a frozen cube or what??

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I don't really drop the cube straight to the tank unless your room temperature is warm enough to thaw it quickly. I grab a net and place the cube there and run over a faucet with running water until it thaws completely.

I can't see anything wrong with your goldfish.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
The last few pics are of a new fish I exchanged for the fish that kept hiding and looked uneven. the Ryukin I think just ate too much. She is now swimming more normally. Hopefully she looks ok today too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store