Betta gill problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
My fish shop keeps their bettas in bags until they're sold, so obviously when you get them they're not really in top condition.

Anyway I had a look at this guy and thought he looked ok, as far as I could see in the bag... So I took him home and released him in my tank. As soon as he got out I realised one of his gills was sticking out LOADS more than the other, and you can see the black frill sticking out from underneath.

Is he just a mutant, or has he been in a scrap or something? Or is this a symptom of something?

This is him

And this is kind of showing his gill. Sorry it's not a very good pic- he's in a bowl.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I would like to say, first off, that you should keep him in at least a 2.5 gallon tank (or a LARGE bowl). As for the gill "problem" he is probably just flaring his gills at his reflection (or you). Males do this when challenging eachother and other fish as this makes them look bigger. There might be a problem though if he is like that permanently. I suggest watching him from a distance to seee if he closes them..

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
He's in a 6.5gal bowl :)

He's not just flaring his gills, it's like that all the time, it sticks out loads more than the other and you can see the frill when they're just moving normally.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
It happens sometimes. Seems to be from some kind of injury, but it's usually mostly permanent. It doesn't cause any discomfort to the fish in the other cases I've seen, so probably not anything to worry about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store