Cherry Shrimp Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Do red cherry shrimp females always drop their very first batch of eggs due to infertility?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
LOL! It's easy to see right now, I have a few young shrimp so they've been saddled for the first time. They are in a 10G fry tank on my kitchen counter so it's been easy for me to see them drop them. As they've gotten big enough, I've been scooping the bigger ones out and placing them in my pleco tanks so there's not many left in the kitchen tank. Those cream colored eggs are real easy to spot in my dark green willow moss.

Koshy

AC Members
Sep 30, 2009
I'm not entirely sure, but, with my shrimp I noticed that they dropped around 2 entire clutches when they were first put into the tank.

After a while they must have gotten used to the tank, which I had already cycled and what not prior to their introduction, and managed to hang onto their eggs until hatching.

I've noticed several times though that if the eggs become milky, or creamy as you describe, they will not hatch.
Only the eggs kept with the female remain healthy.

Once they get used to the tank and begin retaining their eggs until hatching they populate extremely fast.
My max population in a 10 gallon, with minimal food added, was around 250, just from their vigorous reproduction.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
As far as I know...

If a female is carrying eggs they are fertile.
RCS actually copulate to fertilize eggs.

Many factors may cause them to drop the eggs though.
Stress etc...

Below copied from:
http://www.akwaria.pl/krewetki/karlowate-en.html

Copulation takes place rather rarely so if you want to see it you have to spend quite some time on observation. Male "sits" on a female and they can wonder among aquarium like that for some time. Sex organs of male are placed on two first pairs of swimming legs. Special side parts and ads of these legs are sex organs. Using them male places his sperm in female.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
I tend to think that RCS will only carry eggs under their tail if it's already fertilized. The saddle is the unfertilized eggs. Once it's being carried, they're on their way. The eggs do require protection and O2 to survive, thus the females carry them until they hatch. Most of the time, when they are dropped, their surival rate is low.

However, I did have a small 1.5 gallon tank where I had 3 berried females drop their eggs. I didn't remove the dropped eggs, hoping that they would still hatch. Few weeks later, I saw baby shrimp running around everywhere, and egg shells all over the bare bottom.

Shawn

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I have never had a shrimp drop their eggs. I had one cray drop hers so I have to say no, its not something that always or even often happens. My thoughts are that stress and incompatable conditions (water too soft, too hot, too cold, etc) can cause them stress and make them lose their eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store