RCS breeding tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

frogman18

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Kentucky
How would you guys go about setting up a breeding tank for RCS if i wanted to breed them on a large scale? Would something like a 40 gal breeder be best or should i go with smaller tanks?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
You really dont need anything bigger than a 20 gal tank.
You dont need anything tall, so I would reccommend a 20 gal long tank.
Although I had more than 100 in a 10 gal tank without any issues.

keep it species only, nothing else in there. maybe a few snails, but nothing else.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I used a 5.5gal and started with 25. I had gravel substrate and java moss. when I hit 200 I moved them to a 10 after getting rid of 100.

I believe that Rachel had told me 10 per gallon ratio.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
ditto the 20 long vs 20 high idea. Or 2-3 10G tanks. That way you have a spare in a tank crashes. Sand or gravel substrate they don't care. For best coloration I suggest a darker substrate.

I had them in a ~12G black storage box with a sponge filter and they did fine...but kinda hard to see 'em :) they colored up well in the black 'tank'.

In a clear storage box with sand, they were much lighter, even yellowish.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i prefer a thin layer of dark substrate. The general rule of thumb is 10 adults per gallon, but you can go over that if you are dilligent. I prefer 20 longs but I do use 29g and 30g as well for breeding tanks. You can comfortably keep many hundreds in those sizes. Sponge filter (hydro pro line) are my favorite. You may not need a heater if your house stays in the 70's. Do some low light plants or make sure you let the tank really establish. Feed VERY lightly, I feed 2x per week about 1 pellet per 10-20 shrimp. They will graze constantly on infusoria, biofilm, microalgaes, film algaes, etc and need very little supplementation if its an established tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store