Ich!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamiya0727

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
I have a 12-gallon tank with 4 new guppies and a huge mystery snail. One guppy developed ich on Thursday, so I took out the carbon filter and started medicating with Ich Attack, which says it is safe for inverts. Today the fish looks worse and two others are now infected. I stepped up to twice a day as the instructions said to do. I have also been gradually turning up the heat in the tank.

Is there anything else I can do? How high should the heat go? Is it safe to add salt? Should I try to rearrange and get the snail out, or put the fish in a different tank? I really don't have a good place to put the snail - the only choice is a 6-gallon that already has 4 danios and a cory catfish, so it's already overstocked. I guess it might be okay, though, if I do water changes every other day. It's also possible I could move everybody out of a 3-gallon and put them in the 12-gallon and move the guppies out into the 3-gallon so I can use a stronger medication, and then move them back when they are cured.

Or should I just keep going with the Ich Attack and it will eventually work?

Jamiya

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
It's best to treat the whole tank as there are three stages to the lifecycle of ich. only in one stage are they suseptable to the treatment, so follow the instructions and treat for the entire time. I would not add salt with a snail in the tank. Raising the temp speeds up the lifecycle usually the low 80's. I'm sure someone else will post with specifics

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Don't transfer your snail to another tank with fish in it. If you want, get a rubbermaid tub and run a sponge filter there for your snail.

jamiya0727

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
The 3 guppies with ich all died. The 4th (and last) guppy seems unaffected. The snail seems fine. The water is murky from the Ich Attack medication. Should I continue to medicate for 3-4 days, then put the carbon back in, wait for the water to clear, test parameters, and then try again with the guppies? I am so sad. :(

Jamiya

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
test your water parameters. Do a water change. Then continue to dose for the recomended time. Sorry for your loss.

jamiya0727

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
The last guppy died. :( I never saw any signs of ich but maybe it was inside its gills or mouth.

Now there's only the snail. I guess I will treat for a couple more days, do another water change, put the carbon filter back in, and then I think I will wait until after the holidays and try again.

arjosh

WHAT???
Oct 12, 2006
Sunnyside, NY
Kordon Ich Attack is the best medication to use in any tank...Had an infection once with lots of cherries and blue/black mystery shrimps....took care of ICK in 3 dose....kinda hard to find in LFS.....try getting online.....

jamiya0727

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
Kordon Ich Attack is the best medication to use in any tank...Had an infection once with lots of cherries and blue/black mystery shrimps....took care of ICK in 3 dose....kinda hard to find in LFS.....try getting online.....
It's sold in several pet stores here - it's what I was using. I dosed once a day for several days and then more fish came down with it so I increased to twice a day as the instructions say. Several days later they all died.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store