ramshorn snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
They are "good" snails ? right? I keep them in check the same way as pond snails, by not over feeding the tank? I was warned they were on the java moss I bought, it's just taken 2 months for them to finally show up. I rescaped the tank, and trimmed the java moss and uprooted and rearranged the plants and that's when they came out of hiding.

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
why would you uproot and rearrange plants? thats bad for them...

but yes they're relatively harmless but can reproduce just as quickly as the common/pond snails can, and may overtake an aquarium, but there are many fish that would quickly devour them and/or keep them in check, if keeping them at all.

i had a pond snail invasion and bought 2 botias (yo yo botias) and within a month i was amazed to not find a trace of them, just absolutely unbelievable

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
They're good snails in that they don't harm plants, are a decent algae eater and aren't terribly prolific.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
uprooted amazon swords to remove dead leaves, remove baby plants, get the pond snails off. did not uproot all plants. java moss is attached to a rock, I trimmed and replaced the rock. It was not that drastic.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
Ramshorns can be okay but I scrape of egg massed and squish small ones to keep the population contained. IMHO of the ramshorn types the blue ones are the best as the reproduce more slowly even if there is a bit of extra food around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store