3 angels in a 36G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J Lindy

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
i've been waiting to see some good looking angels at my LFS and i finally got lucky this weekend. i picked up 3, 2 gold and 1 marble. i have a 36G bowfront and want to know about my stock levels.

i currently have 12 cardinal tetras (in there since the beginning, about 1 year, schooled nicely), 3 danios (had 5 but lost 2), 1 oto (had 3, lost 2), 1 clown pelco, 1 betta (the first fish in the tank, the OG). i'd like to add to the school of cardinals and need to give my oto a couple of playmates. i'm not planning on adding any danios, wasn't crazy about them.

is there enough room for my 3 angels?

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
You might be ok, in the begining, when they are are under a quarter size. Will still need good filtration and weekly WC.
Angels get big!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
There will be enough room for awhile,but they will inevitably start to fight once they mature.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you'll be ok for a short time(couple months)

be wary of Aggression. as Angels will establish a pecking order.

if you get a pair off you will be able to keep a pair in the tank. but watch stock levels. as mentioned angels can get quite large

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would try the three...but be prepared to give one up in the slight chance they pair off.

J Lindy

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
1 year update - the two gold angels paired up and were picking on the marble within the first week. i ended up taking the marble angel back to the store. the tetras didn't mix well with the angels so i moved them to a 10g and increased the danio school to 12. i also put the betta in another tank. clown pelco is reclusive but fine; i lost the last oto and am thinking of adding a bn pelco.

all of those changes were within the first 30 days or so and things have been fine for about a year. recently they have stopped swimming together and are fighting. one seems to be more dominant than the other but they have both been the aggressors at different times.

do i need to separate them? i don't have another tank big enough for an angel and i'd hate to give one up after having them as long as i have. any advice is appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store