SALT for a reef tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Another subject that is up for debate.

These are my options... I can't seem to find 1 "good" one, and I'm not sure if paying double the price foir something that is still under debate is worth it...

What's worked for you guys?

Instant Ocean 160 Gallon Salt Mix Bucket $49.99

Red Sea Pro Coral Salt - 175 Gallon $89.99

Tropic Marin Sea Salt 200 Gallon Mix $109.99

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals 160 Gallon Salt Mix $64.99

Coralife Salt Mix 150 Gallon $49.99

Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt - 200 Gallons Mix $119.99

Kent Sea Salt 200 Gallon Mix (Bucket) $59.99

What do you guys think?

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
Instant Ocean has always worked perfectly fine for me. The reef crystals have some added nutrients in them.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
presently I am using kent, I have used instant ocean and red sea

I am having no problems with kent products its dissolves easy and is affordable, but then again I have decided that I would dispense with trying to do a bunch of corals and have basically gone fish and rocks and whatever soft corals will live in my tanks.

Mushrooms are not only living but multiplying, and my trigger makes short work of other types of corals.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Just me personally, but I have never found that "perfect salt". I prefer Ocean Pure Pro over any other brand, but it is hard to find online. $50 for a 150G bucket at my LFS and all 3 of the major levels are way up there.

Other than Tropic Marin, which I could never justify the cost, all the others for the most part need some type of boosting before you use it. Either Calcium or Magnesium is low on the majority of salts I have tried on your list. That said, if you have to test and add stuff to freshly mixed water anyway, you may as well go the cheapest route on salt, ie, something like Instant Ocean and just add your own CA/Mg.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Since I am starting a new tank, I recently asked the chief aquarist at the Cleveland zoo what they use.
They make their own to the Instant Ocean formula.

I like Ace's idea of just adding your own Ca/Mg as needed.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Depends on your CA depletion. Instant Ocean usually has CA in the 320/340 area which is considered low for most people. If you only have softy corals this may be ok, but if your into LPS, or worse, Clams and SPS corals then Instant Ocean would not be a good choice if you didn't add Calcium to boost those numbers.

For me, if I used Instant Ocean and didn't supplement with Calcium, that original 340 CA level would drop about 40 per day. After 1 week my CA would be down to about 60 by the end of the week. It all depends on what types of corals you have in the tank.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Once i have finished setting up my tank i'll be using the tropic marine salt, but over here it's cheaper than most of the others.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I still use Reef Crystals, despite all the complaints it was getting recently. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I have yet to have any of the problems that some others are claiming to have had with it.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Out of curiosity, what CA readings are you getting on Reef Crystals? I was getting 360-380 on the last bucket I tried. Wasn't impressed, $10 more per bucket than my normal salt and a lot less CA.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store