Why do I have a snowball?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I have a RED cherry tank. That is the only shrimp I have ever put in this tank. While I was looking in the tank today, I saw a snowball shrimp!:jaw-dropping: How can this be? And is it a problem? Do I need to try and fish it out so it does not affect the "red" of my shrimp.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
my goodness! how odd. I would fish it out since they are both neos. Did you get plants recently from someone with snowballs?

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
my goodness! how odd. I would fish it out since they are both neos. Did you get plants recently from someone with snowballs?
Absolutely nothing new in the tank. Once I put the cherries in it (at least 6 months ago), I have added nothing.

or is it a genetic throwback?
That is what I am thinking.

maybe a genetic abnormality? got a picture?

you should probably isolate until you identify...maybe you have an albino cherry shrimp!
So a shimping I am going. I guess I will add it to my Briggs tank as there are no shrimp in it at all. I will try to get a picture.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
cherry shrimp are neocaridina heterpoda, snowballs are neocaridina zhangjiajensis (sp??). A cherry cannot turn into a snowball, but is it possible its just a really really pale male? Do you have snowballs in another tank? ANy chance of a hitchhiker on a net/plant, etc

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
I used to have snowballs in another tank. It was tore down and redone with my convicts gosh, I don't know, quite a while ago. It is bright white, not see through. It appears to me to be not quite full grown. I have put food in the tank to try and get it to come out to the front so I can get a pic of it, but of course it is being a pain in the butt.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
I don't know, I have been trying to get it to come to the front of the tank so I can get a pic of it. I have a Kodak 4.0 Easyshare and can not take a pic of it unless it does. It sure isn't cooperating much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store