Keeping my Nitrate lower in my 220G fish only

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

z28sseater

AC Members
Nov 16, 2008
Hey guys, I was just wondering anyway to keep my 220G fish only predatory tank nitrate lower?

My setup consists 2 turboflotor multi SL skimmers. I have a fluval FX-5 for mechanical filtration only. I have a 40G breeder sump setup with macroalgae and biological material. I probably have atleast 225 IBS of live rock. I try to change my water every 3 weeks. I know changing my water more frequently would help out but im a busy person. Any other ways?

And i plan to upgrade to a bigger and better skimmer some day instead of having 2 smaller ones?? Anyone have a good reccomandation on a better skimmer?

My fish consists of:

A 6" clown triggerfish
A 6" dogface puffer
A 5" bicolor foxface
A 4" formosa wrasse.
A 9" blue hippo tang.
A 13" volitan lionfish.
A pain in the *** 3" domino damsel.
A 4" niger triggerfish.

So as you can see. their big fish.

Thanks Guys.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
There are a few options,
1. Reduce the livestock
2. Add Purigen to the filtration
3. More water changes
4. Deep sand bed
5. Remove the biomedia
6. Increase the macro algae in your refugium/sump or go with mangroves
7. Bigger skimmer (ASM G4/G5 might be a good option)
8. The use of Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7 and Reef Biofuel get good reviews. It's up for debate, however.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've had good success with vodka dosing.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I tend to recommend algal assimilation. If that isn't working, you either don't have enough algae, enough light, or enough room for it to grow.

I don't particularly like organic carbon dosing in any tank. There are too many unpleasant variables, all of which can be exacerbated in an FO system. JMHO.

Last edited:

z28sseater

AC Members
Nov 16, 2008
Thanks. I did a little research on Vodka Dosing and i think i might give it a shot. Is their any complications with a refugium? Basically does it kill copepods and all the little creatures? What about does it kill chaeto and caulerpa?

Unnerving

Unnerving
Sep 24, 2009
Elyria, Oh
www.myspace.com
I'm reading great success stories with people using algae turf scrubbers. There is a thread in the diy build section under mega powerful nitrate/phosphate remover. I built one for my 100g but haven't ran it yet.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
If you have any media/sponges in your fluval, I would remove that.
You'd be amazed at what just removing sponge pads will do for dropping trates.
That and a better skimmer.
I personally wouldn't even bother w/ vodka dose on a FO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store