Should I, shouldn't I...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
many people have differing opinions on the matter...

fact is, I'd love to get an anemone for my tank, but I don't know if it's a good idea...

here's a picture of the tank, and the lighting is adequate. (2x 250 and 2x attinic t5s)...

parameters are all good, and only RODI water is used...

I have a pair of black ocelarus clowns that are hosted by a rock... lol..

My concern is that the tank is almost a cube, and therefore the anemone wouldn't have lots of places to move around. (Ideally it wouldn't have to).

Also, I have quite a bit of rock in there, and I'll be placing quite a few frags in the tank as well.

- Is it a good idea to go for one?

- if it is, what kind of anemone should I get, one that hopefully won't move around so much, and one that will (hopefully) host my clowns...

Any info is always appreciated..

Ideally I'd like to place the anemone where the plate coral is now...

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Cheech: I love your tank. If you add an anemone, I wouldn't add anything else until it finds its happy spot and stops moving. I have two in my 125 and the GBTA doesn't move except very little within its same small rock. My RBTA like most, has moved quite a bit.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Any species can move around considerably if they don't like something. I do second the advice that Almondsaz has given, however.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
There are several species that prefer sand, including M. doreensis, some H. crispa, C. adhaesivum, S. haddoni, and probably a few others I am forgetting. All of these species get prohibitively large (except C. adhaesivum) for all but dedicated tanks, though.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Thank you very much for the info. I think I'll go for one and see how it goes..

I've read of people sticking pictures of anemones hosting clowns on the side of their tank, which seems to knock some sense into the clown fish, making them figure out that it's the thing to do.

It seems to have worked for some people. I'll give it a try with my clowns as well.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Cheech: I hope you have some luck with putting the pic of the clowns and anem. My pair won't go to either anem and prefer to be with their fuzzy mushroom rock.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I haven't tried it yet. If you want something that sound stupid...I have tried the "spotlight" method. You shine (via flashlight) onto the anem you want your clowns to take interest in and they are drawn to the highlighted anem. I got a good laugh out of it that I even tried it, but no success. They didn't even swim near the light. So I am up for trying anything.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Go for it.... I know I've read that it can work. There are forums out there with pictures to prove it .. (I just can't find them)..

Find a good picture of the closest anemone/clown setup that resembles yours, (or photoshop your own pics with the clowns in the anemone), and tape it close to your anemone. you never know!

if it does work, please post pics.. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store