17 fry in a jar. :( I try

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The_Sphynx_82

Call me 'Gaz' ;)
Nov 26, 2009
In my bedroom with my fish :)
So I just joined and I already love the place, but to get to the point: I've got 17 convict fish fry living in an animal cracker jar (it's probably about four-five gallons...) which I just moved from 2 2-liter bottle (that's just over half of a gallon...)
The fish are doing fine now, I change the water CONSTANTLY to keep it from getting too dirty. I already had a close call with amonia build up, their gills are finally back to normal. Poor guys :/
I feel bad, but I learned to keep a close eye on them. I know I sound horrible, but a guy was getting rid of them (and i don't mean giving them away...) and I took as many as I could off of his hands. Any way, I'm new to keeping an aquarium, and I've already had a few close calls and been doing things wrong, so hopefully I'll have better luck learning on here :)
I'm also saving money for a REAL set up, and doing a bunch of DIY projects to try and make a filter, aerator, decorations/hiding places etc. and I would appreciate any help and advice :)
As of yet I remain optimistic. I just overcame a food crisis by graduating from bread crumbs to black worms :D they're currently multiplying under my sink :p

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
That is cool. Just keep up with the with the water changes and prepare to give them away and maybe keep 1 or 2 for a tank you have. Also, try as best you can to get a larger container. if you go to a home hardware store and get a 5 gal. + bucket or Rubbermaid tub.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Petsmart has a sale tomorrow for a 10 gal tank with hood and light for $15

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store