unnervings' 100g build!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Unnerving

Unnerving
Sep 24, 2009
Elyria, Oh
www.myspace.com
I'm starting a 100g predator FOWLR tank to move my dogface puffer to. Finished the plumbing last night and put in 100lbs. of live rock that was sitting around for about 2 mths so i'm assuming it's all dead base rock. I also put in the sand. I'm a newbie and even though i have a 40g that has been set up for 6mths and have lost no fish , I still have alot of questions.

Can i start off with a algae turf scrubber as the filtration? Don't know if this is possible.

I'll post some pics after the tank settles!

After 1 day i'm already reading .25 ammonia. Does this mean the rock wasnt completely dead?

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
When you say the rock had been sitting around, where was it placed?

If it was submerged in salt water, then I'd say there's still life in there.

I purchased rock from a guy that had it in buckets for a couple of months, not heated, no powerhead, in his basement.. Within weeks, I saw the rock come back to life.

If it was layed down dry, then, yeah.. you got dead rock.

What do you mean by using

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Oh, sorry... I was going to as what a turf scrubber is. Then I googled it, but I'm not familiar with that type of filtration. I forgot to delete the beginning of the question...

Check in the middle of the night, turn on a flashlight to see if anything is coming out of the rocks... Bristleworms, copepods... Was the rock humid, or completely dry?

Since you're getting a reading, there might still be a chance that the rock isn't completely dead.

Unnerving

Unnerving
Sep 24, 2009
Elyria, Oh
www.myspace.com
I found the answer for the turf scrubber. Sounds like it's a good thing to start with, even as the tank is cycling.

I've been thinking about my stocking list, so far i'ts
Dogface Puffer (already have)
Porcupine Puffer
Snowflake Eel
Panther Grouper
Any problems with compatibility? Suggestions?

AC2020x

AC Members
Dec 31, 2008
State College, PA
in a 100g no no way, I have a 125 and a porcupine or dogface will outgrow it as an adult. Hence i'm hesidant but I think i'm going to get 1 of the 2 small and when he grows move to a 300g tank. Panther grouper needs at least a 300g I believe. I'm sure you could keep them in there for a little while or even as adults but it would just be cruel and completely very unnatural for them. As adults I believe they would be very stressed out.

You might want to ask some more experienced people, but from what I've heard from people who have owned both puffers this is the case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store