911 fish sick, help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GreenTerr0

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Yesterday I noticed one of my tri coloured sharks had a faded patch of scale on his left side and by last night he had some white grainy looking specs on him, his energy level seemed fine.. I figured this could be the early stage of ich , so I added 30 table spoons of api aquarium salt to my 90 gallon tank, this morning the water is cloudy but thankfully it would seem the faded spot is starting to improve and there is no longer any grainy spots on him, should I continue to add salt? Is it too early for a water change? How long should I continue the salt bath?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What other fish are in the tank? Did you dissolve that salt in water first and add it slowly over several hours?

If it is ich, you will need to maintain the salt concentration for a full week after all signs of it have gone. 30 TABLESPOONS...? As in 3 teaspoons per gallon..? just a bit on the high side for me.

GreenTerr0

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
yea i dissolved it in tank water and added it slowly
i have 3 siamese algae eaters, 2 red tail sharks, 2 tri coloured sharks, 4 neon tetras, 3 zebra danios , 3 glowlight danios, i did some reading and one article said 3-5 teaspoons per gallon, also it seems like the fish are doing just fine now, the tri coloured shark no longer has the white specs on him and the patch of dull scales on its side are looking much better. i think the salt worked, im gonna leave the bath going for the week though then do a 40 -50% water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store