Pygmaeus wigglers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
Hi all,

After discovering a juvenile cory pygmaeus in my community tank (which contains 9 pygmaeus along with assorted rasboras, endera, gambusia, otos and minnows) I decided to make more of an effort to raise some of the eggs. I put some eggs in a floating tupperware with an airstone, and some in a Lees breeder net next to the fliter outflow.

This morning I have two wigglers in the tupperware . It contains small amounts of two kinds of fry food, and some detritus and moss from the tank (on the assumption that this might carry some infusoria they can eat).

Does anyone have some tips on what else I can do to give them the best chance to get big enough to add back to the community tank?

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Congrats. I also am involved with new wigglers. Just winging it. I'll watch your thread to see what feedback you get. Good luck.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
How is it going with your fry? Mine hatched on Thanksgiving morning and seem to be doing quite well. There are about 20 or so. (What will I do with them?) Anyway, I was so anxious about feeding them I started on Saturday but they didn't really seem interested. This morning is the first time I noticed that they really seem to be looking around for food just like the mature catfish.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Alot of people will use sponge filter squeezings/mulm to feed young catfish then move onto bbs and microworms. Good luck!

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I had only two, and I think I saw a new one this morning. The first two have now developed the vertical bands I read about. I dropped in various bits of fry food and algae. I may have overdone it a bit and will probably try and suck some back out tonight. But so far my few little guys seem fine. I need one or two replacements and imagine people will be happy to pick up any extras as freebies, assuming they make it.

My main concern is that they are currenting in a rather small tupperware dish. So I think I will need to transfer them to my breeder net at some point....

I am posting pictures if the wigglers here if anyone is curious: http://puddlebuddies.blogspot.com/2009/11/cory-eggs.html

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hey Msjinkzd. Hope you're doing great!

Well, when you say a sponge filter; what exactly do you mean? I use an over the side filter on my community tank; you mean to squeeze some of the h2o from that filter?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
psyche I wish you all the luck in the world! I had a large breeding group of them. It is very, very difficult to keep pygmaeus fry alive. Mine would do well for several weeks and once it seemed you made it over the hurdle of getting past the tiny fry stages, I'd lose them all....all but one over a 6-month breeding program period.

gmbc what type of cory fry do you have?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
what has been recommended to me is to take the sponge from a filter (most of my tanks are filtered solely by sponges) and squeeze teh mulm into the tank. the fry feedon teh microorganisms found there for the first week or so. Some people swear by it.

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
I have been using gunk off the bottom of my tank. As I had one make it on its own in the tank I assume there is something in there that works for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store