ick-like spots on betta's eyes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
my betta has two white spots, one on each of his eyes. they are similar to ick but these spots are almost perfectly round, not misshapen like ick often is. i have treated for ick and nothing happened. he has had them for a few days now. he still seems to be able to see his food. anyone know what they are and what i can do about them? thanks.

P.S. sorry about the poor picture quality, rainbow hates photos and i had to sneak.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8109340@N06/

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
When treating for ick you should heat the tank to 86 degrees Fahrenheitand treat with your remedy ( I happen to like the salt method) for at least 14 days after the last spot goes away because ick is only vulnerable to any kind of treatment at one point in it's life cycle. that point is after the ick has dropped off of the fish and reproduced and is free swimming. Until then the ick is not able to be killed by ick medicine or any other remedy. In other words ick can't be killed when it is on the fish and once it is no longer on the fish you still need to treat for at least 14 days to kill all the ick. It does not sound like you treated for 14 days.

That being said I am not positive that is ick. Are you sure it is not the reflection of light in his eye?

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
I'd bet my life those aren't reflections. they protrude slightly and can be seen from side view (i couldnt snag a picture of that). yes, i didn't treat for 14 days as i ran out of ick meds--i have to get more. :(

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
You could try the salt and heat method, it's just as effective as meds if not more effective. HERE is a link to an article on ick (ick is also known as ich) that talks about how to treat ick using salt and heat.

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
thanks.
im still wondering, is it ick at all? it seems so orderly...one spot on each eye, perfectly circular, right in the middle

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
often cloudy eyes llike that are the result of poor water quality. Do you vac each time? How frequently do you wc and what size tank?

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
i vac once a month in a FULL water change (very very intensive), PWC 1 gal or so every 2 weeks in a 6 gal tank. tank buddies are young brigs and two cory cats.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I would start doing weekly water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store