20g CP viv

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BoJangles

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
RI
Ok first off CP stands for Carnivorous Plants, i decided that i would share this with you some of you know most dont but im REALLY REALLY bored and took some pics before they all start to hibernate

(please excuse the cobra lily's appearance I'm nursing it back to health and that stalk is just about dead)
they are in pots just becuase it makes it easy to water them and the peat moss is there to keep the humidity up Lighting is really simple with just drop lights and day light bulbs

The plant list is

2x Cobra Lilys
2x Venus Fly traps
2x Sundew
1x Butterwort
1x Purple Pitcher
1x Red Pitcher
1x Sarracenia x catesbei hybrid(i believe i cant quite remember)

Just thought i would share as i don't see many of these plants around. i might be able to get some better pics and update

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I approve.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Nice, so what are you going to feed them when you're done?

BoJangles

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
RI
gonna feed them flies and stuff...gotta winter them over soon though..fridge here i come

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Cool carnies!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Weird.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That's awesome! Can you say more about wintering them? Thanks for posting this!

BoJangles

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
RI
Thanks for the comments guys...bob your an alien i dont expect you to understand the coolness of these plants

jbradt these plants come from the good old USA(as well as other parts of the world but i started with north american species because they are more abundant and they were pretty cheap) and as im guessing you know because you are from CO it gets cold, basically its the same as hibernation in animals. What you do is cut off all the traps and tubes put a moist paper towel in a bag stick the pot in a bag and put them in the bottom of the fridge and let them just go into what is called dormancy. There are bulbs that stay alive in the peat moss and when i take them out in the summer they should be alive.

However having said that dormancy can be a bit different for different species. Some western Australian sundews go into dormancy backwards so when its hot and the soil dries out thats when they are dormant but when its cool and moist they thrive.

If their dormancy needs aren't respected then the plant could die, they need to sleep once and a while

i apologize if this is confusing I'm still new at the whole CP thing but I've done a bunch of research but the best way for me to learn is to do it. Also if i got some plant names wrong feel free to correct me there are a bunch of sub species and they look similar when they are small.

There will be updates in this thread because atleast the cobra lillys and red pitchir and Sarracenia x catesbei hybrid will get to tall for the terrarium and i will have to move them to a window sill...which will give me more room!!..unless i find a really tall tank

whew that was long

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Awesome, thanks! I've been doing some research too, and I'm thinking about trying a setup something like what you have. Thanks for the inspiration!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store