Cherry shrimp dying?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dejitaru_Davis

AC Members
May 16, 2009
IL
I have a tank with cherry shrimp in it. I've had them for six or so months...they've been doing well until now. I've moved with them twice during this span -- once at the end of summer, and then moved back a week ago.

The shrimp were doing very well until this week -- now I'm noticing the numbers are dwindling. When I set up the tank this time, I rescaped it, untangled the huge wad of anacharis and removed some java moss. I noticed they weren't as active as they had been -- normally I see a few paddling around, climbing over rocks, picking at the plants. Now they've all been hiding in the back, in a couple key spots.

Every couple days I find a shrimp (or remains of one) floating around the tank. I pull him out and give him a proper disposal :(

I know during transit the water they were in got kind of cool -- but I didn't see any dead shrimp. Could the temperature problem be what's killing them, even though it's been a few days? The other option is a water problem, but I don't have a way to check it here, so I haven't had a chance to do that yet....

enthusiast

AC Members
Sep 29, 2009
Sidney, OH
are you doing regular water changes, and being sure to add a water conditioner to the new water?

shrimp are also very sensitive to copper. Did you start anything new in their line of diet, or add any fertilizers recently, that contain copper in the ingredients?

Dejitaru_Davis

AC Members
May 16, 2009
IL
Nope, the only thing new with the water is it's coming from a different tap. Normally I do a 10% or so change each week, but I've been doing it every couple days because of the recent deaths. Keep in mind, though, they lived in water from this tap for months...and they were fine.

I haven't added any new ferts or foods. I know copper is an issue with inverts, so I'm mindful of what goes in their tank....

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
If they all arrived adult and a similar age they might just be dying off. Are they breeding?

Dejitaru_Davis

AC Members
May 16, 2009
IL
I started with six tiny babies, they multiplied to about three dozen. When I put them in the tank last week a couple were berried, and some were saddled; it's hard to tell how many are left, since they're hiding. I just keep finding dead males floating around, being torn up by my fish. I have no idea if they're eating entire corpses before I get there...or if they're just picking at the ones I see.

It's hard to take a good census on these lil guys :/

sullest

AC Members
Nov 25, 2009
Keep in mind that most plumbing are copper, traces of copper or very little or even non-existent. This would be the last place I do or even think of but if it come to it, I would advise once in a while testing it for copper or when you do a water change, make sure your system is flushed.

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
They only think I was thinking of, is the tank that they where moved to old? Maybe it had something used in it in the past that are hurting your shrimp now?

I don't know who much copper you will get from using hot water (Copper pipes), but I only use cold water and let it set out for a day to reach room temp..

Not sure if I really need to do that or not.

Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store