My kids want shrimp- what kind?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
In the tank, not to eat :) I suppose it would have to be not too little because of the gourami and Betta, so no ghost or rcs. All the fish are in my sig there, are there any that would work?
I can't afford the really expensive ones, like the 50$ vampire shrimp at my LFS.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, bamboo shrimp look interesting. What is the price range? My ph is around 8.4, is that a problem for them?

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
The LFS by my house has bamboo shrimp for around $15 but all of their stock is overpriced. I think the pH is a little high but if you acclimate him slowly he'll probably be okay.

I was told that if you see the bamboo shrimp picking at the ground for food they don't have enough floating food to eat and a good suppliment food is Cyclops-Eez. They have to pick it up too but it is supposed to have quite a bit of the nutrients they need to be healthy.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I'm not sure but from $3-5 dollars each. If your looking for a huge amount, it might be a little too much and might be best setting up a small tank for them.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I have a few bamboo shrimp, they were only $4 at petco.

They like to hang out by the filter output. I thought they woule be more difficult to care for, but they are doing very well in my tank, with no additional effort.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Ok, I think I remember them at Petco. Will see how healthy they look, I was thinking of just a pair since I also have snails competing for food. I can set up a perch for them by the filter output.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Ok, I got him! He is super cute and has a nice orange glow to him. At first he was on the plants using his fans and now he has found a spot on the sponge filter.
I will try to get a pick when he comes out of there.
I have to give the Petco guy a compliment because he had guts to admit, "I don't know much about this species of shrimp" and didn't try to sell me bamboo.
So, should I get more of them since they don't breed in freshwater or just keep the 1?

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
Ok, I got him! He is super cute and has a nice orange glow to him. At first he was on the plants using his fans and now he has found a spot on the sponge filter.
I will try to get a pick when he comes out of there.
I have to give the Petco guy a compliment because he had guts to admit, "I don't know much about this species of shrimp" and didn't try to sell me bamboo.
So, should I get more of them since they don't breed in freshwater or just keep the 1?
You could house more than 1 in you 55, if they start to forage on the ground get some infusoria(spell check).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store