DIY water changer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
I'm thinking of building a DIY water changer using a pump and running an outlet hose to wherever makes sense given the time of year.

Has anyone done this and have any idea what size/type of pump would work well? I suppose I could calculate it... I have a foggy memory of doing so in my engineering classes years ago.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
you could use a float switch to measure the water level, then the size of the pump wouldnt matter since it would fill to a level and not an amount of time. as long as the pump is big enough at least.
n as for getting water out of your tank, you can just manually siphon it out since you might wanna vac your gravel anyways

Beaux

AC Members
Jun 13, 2009
python no spill drain n fill. best 35 i ever spent on fish stuff period. fits almost sny household faucet right outa the pack and you can get most parts to make it longer or whatever ya want from any local hardware store.
Beaux

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Discus Only- Thanks! That's exactly the sort of thing I am looking to buy/build.

I do have a Python- but with 2-120 gallon tanks (plus a 29 and a 28), I'm wasting a lot of water when I empty. I do gravel vac each time I do a water change, but need to move a lot of water and I like to do pretty large changes every week. My oscar thrives on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store