Bangai Cardinal Fish Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snowman100

AC Members
Oct 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hi All..

I have a question.. My tank has 2 clown fish and 2 Bangai Caridinal fish..

Please take a look at these pics.. my boys tell me this guys mouth is swollen.. I read the males carry the eggs in their mouths.. If this is going on, what can I do to help this along..?

IMG_4172.JPG IMG_4173.JPG

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
It does look squared off / protruding, like it is a male potentially carrying eggs / fry.

I'm not exactly sure what you can do to help things along, as I've not had mine breed yet. But, I'm fairly certain there's some others on this board that have raised the fry.

Good luck!

snowman100

AC Members
Oct 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I feed mine the frozen mysis shrimp...

Looking to get a breeders net and then try to coral that cardinal.. they are quick...

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
If your male is indeed spawning and carrying eggs he won't eat, so don't be alarmed. Mine eat: mysis, copepods, amphipods, bloodworms, and brine. I also feed chopped krill.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
It is not so easy to tell in my opinion. The male has a different angle to the jaw and a longer banner fin than the female, but that assumes you have a male and a female to compare each other to.

I have 4 in my 125 and I must have three males and one female. Two males are at opposite ends of the tank and the pair are in the middle. The males seem to have a much longer banner fin by comparison (the last fin towards the back).

I will look for an article I found that talks quite a bit about sexing, breeding, feeding and care. Will post the link when I find it. Hope this helps.

Great news that they are eating...that doesn't always happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store