My first Tropical tank !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

godjilla

AC Members
Sep 18, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello everyone, been quite a while since I posted.

I'm in the middle of converting my previous 20 gallon goldie tank into my very first tropical tank! I've had my goldfish for over a year, so I know the basics of keeping an aquarium. I appreciate suggestions or tips for a heated aquarium however. :)

The heater I have is what came with the tank when I found it on the side of the road. haha It just says "Aquarium Heater LR 93824" on the top, so I will have to test it out to get correct temperatures. I also plan on transferring some of my java fern as it is getting overgrown in my 30g. I am going to add some Anubias as well, any other suggestions? I'm not positive on the variety at the Lfs.

Now, for the fish. My goal is to have clown loaches. I am going to get those no matter what, love them. haha Perhaps some zebra danios as well. I'm not educated on tropical fish, so any ideas?

Also, my friend has a Convict cichild that she will lend me. He's very timid and shy, as she just kept him alone. Will he be ok to add? I would like to have him in the aquarium, however if he will put the other fish in danger I obviously will not take him.

Thanks for your input in advance. :)

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Both plants you mentioned are great low-light plants. They need some light, but they should thrive with standard lighting that comes with most tank kits and need little looking after. Crypts are another that do well, but they need good deep substrate to support their heavy root feeding along with root tabs.

As for heaters, I know that Stealth heaters are good reliable heaters as are Eheim Jagers. I would advise getting a new heater as relying on used heaters can be treacherous. It's better to spend $30 on a new heater than boiling or freezing your fish with a faulty heater.

Just say no to clown fish, at least for now. Clown fish are social and need groups of 6+. Since they get to be quite large and need these groups, they MUST have at tank of at least 125g. They will quickly outgrow a 20g tank (actually will probably just get stunted and die a horrible death), so don't try to stuff them in there and upgrade when you can afford it.

I wouldn't go with zebra danios for a 20g tank, a 30g would be fine, but they are active fish that need a lot of swimming room. Besides, they are more of a cooler water fish liking temps of 64-74F.

A single convict cichlid might do just fine in there. However, I would not have any other fish in that tank. A better choice would be an apistogramma species if you want a cichlid.

godjilla

AC Members
Sep 18, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you bazil323, I appreciate your knowledge! :D

I'm testing this heater tonight, and if it doesn't work then I will go pick up a new one. Might just do that anyways as it seems to be the safest route.

If I do not have the Convict, what are some smaller fish you would recommend? I would like to have a few, however I know my space is limited. The tank is two feet long, one foot deep, and a foot and a half tall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store