RCS behaviour after molting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
i just want to know normal habits of RCS after molting, i noticed one of my RCS keeps on swimming round and round the aquarium as if its on drugs hehehe, is this a normal behaviour? i know its the one that molted because its my biggest shrimp in the tank. thanks guys

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
I saw my male yellows doing this the other day - 4 or 5 of them were all zooming around the tank like they had too much coffee. I do indeed have one or more saddled female yellows :)

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
actually the one swimming is my largest female, it is the biggest one in my tank and i found an exoskeleton her size, and yep, she is saddled.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Saddled female shrimp are ready to breed, and in order to attract a mate, they release pheremones into the water. the males detect these pheremones and thats when you see them swimming erradically.

If you watch, most of the swimming shrimp you will see are males

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
that explains it, my female was swimming like crazy, last night, my males went out of hiding and are swimming around. thank you for the enlightenment

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store